News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Supreme Court & Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2012, 06:00:15 PM
You've made some statements in this thread that smelled very much like a preference for judicial deference to the legislature.

That just means JR is sane and understood constitutional law in law school.  The Court presumes constitionality at the outset.  The point of a constitutional challenge is to demonstrate the presumption is incorrect and that the legislation is, as a matter of law, unconstitutional.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2012, 12:48:09 PM

The problem is when the mandated system does really work the Goptards will want to go back to the bad old days.  What are the chances that real reform will ever become viable?

At some point we'll either begin completely ignoring the constitution entirely or make a shit ton of amendments that make the stuff we already do kosher. There is no going back, no matter what the GOP thinks.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 11, 2012, 12:48:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2012, 03:56:14 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2012, 07:43:53 PM
My problem with both the mandate and anti-mandate positions is that they're bad public policy.
The good policy options are off the table, so what's left is selecting the brand name of the poison to drink.
The problem is when the mandated system does really work the Goptards will want to go back to the bad old days.  What are the chances that real reform will ever become viable?
Well, if things get bad enough, it'll eventually start to overcome American nationalism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.