And we're back!

Main Menu

Chariots

Started by alfred russel, April 08, 2012, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2012, 01:37:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:35:26 PM
I can't think of one unambiguous Greek Bronze age battlefield.  I don't think any are known.

Not sure what you mean by unambiguous.  Homer gives us some pretty good detail of how chariots were used during that period.

My understanding is that Homer's depiction of battles set during the Mycenaen period was somewhat anachronistic - much like medieval depictions of Romans fighting like medieval knights.

The speculation is that Mycenaen chariot warfare was much like chariot warfare in the ME - that is, used essentially like light cavalry, to harrass and raid with arrow-fire. Homer (or the collection of poets known as Homer) knew the Mycenaens used chariots but not exactly how they were used - his warriors fought much like contemporary-to-Homer Greeks, on foot, with chariots used as transport only.

Somewhat ironically, the Mycenaens had a somewhat higher level of social organization than the "dark ages" Greeks of Homer's day.

Another example of this could be the famous "wooden horse" at Troy, which might represent an imperfectly understood use of a siege weapon of some sort - presumably something like a mobile assault tower with a battering ram. By the "dark ages", the ability of the Greeks to make such things had faded.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2012, 02:12:31 PM
Both of you, lay off the Homer Hate.

I like the Iliad and the Odyssey, but I don't think they should be used to understand events that occurred during the Bronze age.  It seems unlikely that Diomedes actually wounded Ares and Aphrodite in combat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 10:49:29 AM
Well, nobody knows for sure ( I advise you to be wary of anyone who has a great deal of confidence in talking about such things), but what Spellus is talking about does have some backing.  Almost all European languages along with most of the Iranians and Indian languages are related.  It's called the Indo-European Language family.  Why they are like that is not certain.

The tower of babel, dah!
Everybody comes from Noah and his sons, and they all spoke the same language, of course.
As they expanded across the globe, their descendant started speaking diferent dialects, since language never stops to evolve, especially back then with so little communications and so much isolation.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 10:14:22 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 09, 2012, 05:38:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 01:10:23 AM
It's like calling a M2 Bradley a tank.

tank   /tæŋk/ Show Spelled[tangk] Show IPA
noun
1. a large receptacle, container, or structure for holding a liquid or gas: tanks for storing oil.
2. a natural or artificial pool, pond, or lake.
3. Military . an armored, self-propelled combat vehicle, armed with cannon and machine guns and moving on a caterpillar tread.
4. Slang . a prison cell or enclosure for more than one occupant, as for prisoners awaiting a hearing

M2 Bradley
The M242 Bushmaster is a 25 mm (25×137mm) chain-fed autocannon.......check
Self propelled....check
7.62 Coax MG.....check
Tracked......check

M2 Bradley: also not a tank.  It's an IFV.  Your definition would also cover self-propelled artillery and AA guns.
Yaaaaaa think, scroll up a few. Goofball :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Do you think this debate might be some reflection of a long ago bronze age debate about what was officially a chariot ?

BzA.guy A " It has to have wicker screens or it's not a chariot"

BzA.guy B "four asses or it's just a sports machine"

BzA.guy A  "Dude, horse power is the way to go"

BzA.guy B "Give me a break, those things will never catch, too high maintenance"
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 09, 2012, 03:21:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 10:49:29 AM
Well, nobody knows for sure ( I advise you to be wary of anyone who has a great deal of confidence in talking about such things), but what Spellus is talking about does have some backing.  Almost all European languages along with most of the Iranians and Indian languages are related.  It's called the Indo-European Language family.  Why they are like that is not certain.

The tower of babel, dah!
Everybody comes from Noah and his sons, and they all spoke the same language, of course.
As they expanded across the globe, their descendant started speaking diferent dialects, since language never stops to evolve, especially back then with so little communications and so much isolation.

If this was true then relationships between languages wouldn't breakdown in the groups they do today.  English and Hebrew are unrelated.  They may share a few incidental words due to contact but are structurally very different.  Hebrew and Arabic are related, though.  They share a common ancestor.  English is related to French but also languages much further away.

Take for example the word "Mortal".  You can see how it's related to a few other English words like Mortuary.  It's related to French "Mort" (which means death).  But it's also related to languages further afield.  Such as Latin "Mors, Mortis" (meaning death), the Sanskrit "mrtih"(also meaning Death),  the Armenian word "meranim" (which means to die), and old Persian word "Martiya" (meaning a man).

There are a lot of languages that part of this family.  This is odd.  Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Thai are all unrelated despite being fairly close to one another.  Farsi, the main language of Iran is not related to Arabic.  It is however distantly related to English.  For instance the English word "Mother" is quite similar to the Iranian word for "Mother" which is "madar".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2012, 02:19:21 PM
My understanding is that Homer's depiction of battles set during the Mycenaen period was somewhat anachronistic - much like medieval depictions of Romans fighting like medieval knights.

I've heard claims to the contrary that certain aspects of Mycenaean warfare or equipment were accurately reported in Homer despite not being extent during the time period of Homer.  Which is then used to make claims about the possible level of accuracy of transmission in the oral tradition that is reflected in the Homeric tales.

I am in no position to evaluate this either way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2012, 06:11:31 PM

I've heard claims to the contrary that certain aspects of Mycenaean warfare or equipment were accurately reported in Homer despite not being extent during the time period of Homer.  Which is then used to make claims about the possible level of accuracy of transmission in the oral tradition that is reflected in the Homeric tales.

Who said that?

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 06:14:10 PM

Who said that?

An example is the description of Ajax's shield. While Homer usually describes weaponry as it would have been during his own time, he mentions that this particular shield was huge, made like a tower. This indeed fits archeological evidence of the Mycenean period when such devices where commonly used.

Queequeg

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
I assume chariots were effective. Otherwise, why would people use them for centuries? But I have trouble buying this. What a nightmare it would be just to travel across Europe in a chariot without roads, never mind fighting a battle on ground that wasn't a grazed open field. Also, languages aren't culture. If there was a simple trick of warfare that enabled indo european language speakers to conquer others, other groups would have picked up on it before they moved across most of eurasia.

Well, it was reasonably simple-the Kassites picked up on it, and conquered Babylonia. The migration of Indo-Europeans into the steppe and border zones triggered a huge out flux of people, often perused and mixed with Indo-Europeans; this was basically the exact same process that would continue up until the Mongols.  We have something pretty close to an actual model of this with the Cimmerian invasion of the South Caucasus in the Classical period.

I don't think we are just talking about chariots- we are talking about wagons as well, mass mobility of a type not possible before. 

Languages are very closely related to culture in this period.  Most of the oldest Indo-Europeans ethnoyms are based on the ability to perform the correct sacrifices to the various Gods, and maintaining the classic Indo-European class structure.  The Proto-Indo-Europeans would franchise out across the steppe, taking on traits of conquered peoples along the way. 

Honestly, AR, a lot of this is as close to fact as you can get in the pre-literate Copper Age.  There's a ton of physical, genetic and linguistic evidence.  Check out "The Horse, The Wheel and Language."
The problem is of course that's all theoretical.  There is no concrete proof of this.  Since these people were illiterate nobody wrote it down, and artifacts from six thousand years ago are hard to come by.  Proof is in linguistic comparisons and circumstance evidence.  Still it's held up pretty well.  And it makes sense.  It's not the only theory of PIE expansion though.

I think there's a generally accepted narrative at this point, of a migration from the west of the Urals, near the urheimat of the Uralic peoples, towards the Northern Caucasus, with various peoples (first the Hittites and allied Anatolian groups, then the proto-Germans and Tocharians, then the Satemized Indo-European peoples who reflect linguistic contact with the North Caucasus).  This is associated with the spread of the R1a haplotype and the Kurgan culture. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Keep your damn dirty indo-european languages away from me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

My favorite class in Turkey was a Hittite Archaeology course.  I wrote my final paper on domestic correspondence between the Hittite court and Ahhiyawa, a foreign power of equal status, who was apparently in control of Miletus.  There is even a reference to an 'unfortunate episode' at the site of  Wilusa (Wilion-Ilion episode), which I found fascinating.    I left the class more or less convinced that the Iliad was likely more accurate than most scholars assumed in the 20th Century, which I think is an increasingly influential opinion.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on April 09, 2012, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 06:14:10 PM

Who said that?

An example is the description of Ajax's shield. While Homer usually describes weaponry as it would have been during his own time, he mentions that this particular shield was huge, made like a tower. This indeed fits archeological evidence of the Mycenean period when such devices where commonly used.

Okay, it was you.  Thanks.  I think large shields existed in 8th century.  They certainly did after.  Romans were keen on large body shields.  I suspect that Ajax's shield is large because Ajax as large.  It's sort of a reflection of him.  Like the finely made shield of Achilles or the Bow of Odysseus.

There are some things indicative of Mycenaean times that are described by Homer, such as the helmet of Odysseus.  I don't think this means that Homer is giving an accurate account of a battle.  For instance, I doubt there was a man named Achilles who got in a fight with a river.

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2012, 08:47:35 PM

What are you Tamas now?

Queequeg

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2012, 08:47:35 PM
What are you going to do, swear at me in Nahuatl?