George Galloway Set For Sensational Return To House of Commons ?

Started by mongers, March 29, 2012, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Interesting how most of the political communtards are painting this as a disaster for Labour, but if you look at the figures it's a more complex picture:

Turnout - 7,671 fever people voted.

Respect  - 17,096 votes gained.

Labour - 10,200 votes lost

LibCon coalition - 13,119 votes between them lost.

The government coalition combined support got hammered, they retrained less than 25% of their former voters, to me this seems a bigger story than the failure of EdMilly's party. 

Even if you assume all 10,000 former labour votes shifted directly to Respect, and that Conservatives and Libdems accounted for all of the previous voters who decided to stay at home, then that still means more of them choose to then directly vote for Respect than to go with the government candidates, and by a margin 5450 to 4250 remaining loyalists.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Having reflected on it I think it is "a plague on both your houses".

The coalition are deeply unpopular, but then they are in the middle of doing many unpopular things (some of them necessary).

Labour's inability to turn this into huge percentage leads is unusual.

Unless the government commits suicide (quite possible given their recent incompetence) we will have the Scottish referendum before the next general election. I'd quite like to see some statesmanlike debate and illumination of the key issues before this vote takes place. I think that what we will get is a bunch of silly plonkers arsing around in pieshops, petrol forecourts and accusing each other of watering their lawns with hosepipes. Scotland might simply leave in a fit of pique, one could hardly blame them.

I find it all very depressing  :(

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 08, 2012, 12:42:56 PM
The coalition are deeply unpopular, but then they are in the middle of doing many unpopular things (some of them necessary).

Labour's inability to turn this into huge percentage leads is unusual.

It seems to be a common streak in some countries at the moment. "Yeah, the government totally sucks, but it's not like the opposition would do any better."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

That is consistent with those 7,671 fever voters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2012, 12:49:35 PM

That is consistent with those 7,671 fever voters.

No its not, because I've discounted those in my model of possible voter behavior, and within that more of the remaining ConDem voters, decided to turn out and explicitly choose the 'far left' candidate than stay with the government.

Which gets back to my central point, its seems more significant than just a plague on all their houses type of discontent.
What my very unscientific, anecdotal evidence from canvasing people on the high streets indicates to me is that the way is now opening for 'populist' groups, but probably not right-wing, to make a mark on the English political landscape.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Raz was making a joke mongers  :huh:

Peter Hitchens says he might stand :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2126562/George-Galloway-elected-I-said-Id-stand-MP--Well-Ive-changed-mind.html

I'm not sure about your "more significant" comment as you come to the same conclusion that I would regarding the opportunity for populist groups, mavericks and chancers.

Neil

Well, the government has to do some unpopular things, and that's going to make people angry.  On the other hand, it's impossible for any good, right-thinking person to vote for a party that would make a doofus like Ed Miliband the Prime Minister.  This should be a golden age for freaky fringe parties like the BNP and the assorted separatist scum.  If Oswald Mosley were alive today, he'd stand a fair chance of becoming Fuhrer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2012, 02:25:19 PM
Well, the government has to do some unpopular things, and that's going to make people angry.  On the other hand, it's impossible for any good, right-thinking person to vote for a party that would make a doofus like Ed Miliband the Prime Minister.  This should be a golden age for freaky fringe parties like the BNP and the assorted separatist scum.  If Oswald Mosley were alive today, he'd stand a fair chance of becoming Fuhrer.

Strangely enough and going to say "This"; you're right there's a significant political vacuum, someone of his caliber could pull off some startling election results.

Which was my beef with the Occupy movement, they pissed away a golden political opportunity and choose instead to spend 6 months in tents engage in internecine naval gazing. 

Neil

Quote from: mongers on April 08, 2012, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2012, 02:25:19 PM

Strangely enough and going to say "This"; you're right there's a significant political vacuum, someone of his caliber could pull off some startling election results.

Which was my beef with the Occupy movement, they pissed away a golden political opportunity and choose instead to spend 6 months in tents engage in internecine naval gazing.
Yeah, but that was the whole point of the Occupy movement.  It was never based on ideas like justice, fairness or the public good.  Without a concrete set of political ideals to challenge liberalism, you won't fix the world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point