video games- destroying our youth's sense of wonder

Started by Josquius, April 06, 2012, 04:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

A thought which was with me during my trip a few weeks ago.
Such beautiful sites yet....my awe was not what it should be.
I put it to you that video games have spoiled the capacity of modern people to feel awe and wonder at beautiful sights; what with video games giving us fantastically unrealistic and so much more impressive sites when it comes to the real old castles we are struck with a sense of 'is that it?'.

Thoughts?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Nah.  You might have better traction with movies, but still nah.  Seeing a castle in a game or a movie and actually walking around one are very different.  Also video games tend to be private experiences.  Usually only one or perhaps two people are playing.  Seeing the power of nature first hand in a storm cloud can be a group experience.  Not only are you a witness to something beautiful, you feel a connection with those those around you for sharing the experience.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2012, 04:14:01 AM
I put it to you that video games have spoiled the capacity of modern people to feel awe and wonder at beautiful sights; what with video games giving us fantastically unrealistic and so much more impressive sites when it comes to the real old castles we are struck with a sense of 'is that it?'.

Thoughts?

Bah, my mother was saying the same shit about books 30 years ago when I had my head stuffed in them instead of going outside to play.  Meh.

Fate

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2012, 04:14:01 AM
A thought which was with me during my trip a few weeks ago.
Such beautiful sites yet....my awe was not what it should be.

I think you're wrong. No video game captures the beauty of being in places like Zion National Park. One day, perhaps, when we can plug a game right into our brainstem, but until then it can't hold a candle to reality. We're more than just visual and auditory beings. A video and audio facsimile does not suffice.

The Brain

When fractal landscape generators appeared they were the shit. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I suppose you could say that about all information media.  Still, I'd rather be educated and know about things than an ignorant wretch who is always amazed by everything he sees.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on April 06, 2012, 08:50:58 AM
I think you're wrong. No video game captures the beauty of being in places like Zion National Park.

I think the Burned Man DLC for Fallout New Vegas made a good effort at that.

But yeah-- I haven't been to Zion yet but I'd say the same thing about Yellowstone.  Parts of it make you feel like you're on a completely different planet.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 06, 2012, 10:37:27 AM
But yeah-- I haven't been to Zion yet but I'd say the same thing about Yellowstone.  Parts of it make you feel like you're on a completely different planet.

Like New Jersey.  Vineland < Wasteland.

grumbler

I'm with the others; I think the problem you describe just applies to you, Tyr.

A kid was telling me in robotics just last week how much more impressive Zion national park was in real life (he'd just been there over spring break) than in FONV.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2012, 02:05:41 PM
I'm with the others; I think the problem you describe just applies to you, Tyr.

A kid was telling me in robotics just last week how much more impressive Zion national park was in real life (he'd just been there over spring break) than in FONV.

Robotics. Great, Grumber is building Skynet.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive