News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Supreme Court: Strip-searches for everyone!

Started by Kleves, April 02, 2012, 12:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I guess this alright.  I mean, imprisonment is already an affront to human dignity.  The strip search is quick and painless and, seriously, who gives a shit?

More troublesome is the idea that you're supposed to shit where people can see you.  What the fuck is up with that?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2012, 09:55:42 PM
More troublesome is the idea that you're supposed to shit where people can see you.  What the fuck is up with that?

Hey, they do it in the military.

Scipio

In America, jail refers to facilities at the municipality (i.e., county or city) level.  Prison is where you go when you are convicted of a felony.  What gets confusing is that there are many county jails that are certified for prison use under state law.  No pre-trial detainees go to prison.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on April 03, 2012, 07:30:54 AM
No pre-trial detainees go to prison.

Unless the jail is too crowded, then the long-term pretrials go on the tiers.  Like Baltimore.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2012, 09:43:31 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2012, 03:31:15 PM
Supreme Court upholds excessive police powers to needlessly humiliate people in custody?  By a 5-4 decision?  Shocking! :o

I'm afraid you're going to need to elaborate on "excessive" and "needlessly humiliate".
IIRC, NYPD used to strip search everyone, including people arrested for protesting who were going to stay in jail for at most a day.  That's nothing more than harassment in my book.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2012, 07:37:34 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2012, 09:43:31 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2012, 03:31:15 PM
Supreme Court upholds excessive police powers to needlessly humiliate people in custody?  By a 5-4 decision?  Shocking! :o

I'm afraid you're going to need to elaborate on "excessive" and "needlessly humiliate".
IIRC, NYPD used to strip search everyone, including people arrested for protesting who were going to stay in jail for at most a day.  That's nothing more than harassment in my book.

Maybe people should work on their body image.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:55:17 AM

:lol:  " Let me lose 15 more pounds, and it'll be a pleasure, officer!"

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2012, 08:03:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:55:17 AM

:lol:  " Let me lose 15 more pounds, and it'll be a pleasure, officer!"

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2012, 07:34:26 AM
Quote from: Scipio on April 03, 2012, 07:30:54 AM
No pre-trial detainees go to prison.

Unless the jail is too crowded, then the long-term pretrials go on the tiers.  Like Baltimore.
mobtown exists outside of the US Constitution's grasp.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2012, 03:13:35 PM
I don't actually understand the distinction you are attempting to make.

Legally speaking, neither term has any meaning - you won't see the word "prison" or "jail" in any statute.

I think he's talking about the distinction between a detainee and someone who's been incarcerated. :contract:

Detainees shouldn't be strip-searched without good reason.  Due process and security concerns trump the right to privacy in the case of incarcerated persons, IMO.  Convicted felons have some rights systematically removed or restricted, and it makes sense that security concerns would lead to a restriction on privacy in their case.
Experience bij!