And we're back!

Main Menu

The Supreme Court & Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 26, 2012, 11:07:57 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 26, 2012, 11:00:58 PM
Not to mention the bureaucracy, that is one more thing that America does second to none.
I'm still convinced Americans are suspicious of government because they're really, really bad at it :lol:
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Not to mention the bureaucracy, that is one more thing that America does second to none.
I'm still convinced Americans are suspicious of government because they're really, really bad at it :lol:

Blame Hollywood.  Too many decades of the Federal government portrayed as sinister agents wielding unconscionable technological power with black helicopters and making people disappear, when really, it's all just the DMV with better dental.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 26, 2012, 11:14:19 PM
But seriously, we'd probably end up trying to run it like we do public schools, most of the administration done at the state level, with the same hilarious results.

At Creation Hospital, evolution is just a theory, antibiotics are unregulated, HIV tests require only a simple questionnaire, and we package your stillborn infant tastefully for the ride home.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2012, 08:24:57 PM
Concur with Neil.  Individual mandate is stupid.  Why is it so hard?  It wasn't in Canada, the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Austria, probably Poland (FFS).
We have an individual mandate in Germany. I am not sure what  the penalty is for not buying insurance.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on March 27, 2012, 12:01:27 AM
We have an individual mandate in Germany. I am not sure what  the penalty is for not buying insurance.

Sent to the Eastern Front?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 11:42:54 PM

Blame Hollywood.  Too many decades of the Federal government portrayed as sinister agents wielding unconscionable technological power with black helicopters and making people disappear, when really, it's all just the DMV with better dental.

I've never had any problem with the DMV.  I remember Hans predicting that new Healthcare bill would be like the DMV.  I thought that wasn't so bad.  I get in and out in 15 minutes and they have free fresh popcorn in the back.  Costs me 20 bucks.  Much better then current situation with healthcare with a whole bunch of different confusing policies that sometimes cover me and sometimes don't, and is extremely expensive and abused by doctors and hospitals.

People want the government to be bad so they blame their own failings on it.  People also like to distance themselves from government rather then accept that government failings are so often rooted in decisions that the public wants.  We cut taxes and increased spending, and now the deficit is out of control.  How did that happen?  People need to accept that culpability in what the government does.  The problem isn't that government isn't listening to the people, it's that it's listening a little to much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2012, 12:14:25 AM

Monoriu

The way we do it is we set up a semi-independent Hospital Authority to run the hospitals.  The government is only responsible for funding and supervision.  This way the HA can bypass all the government internal regulations and they don't have to use the civil service pay scale.  In other words they can pay their surgeons more and security guards less. 

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2012, 12:14:25 AM

Possible.

But I can't find out what the penalty is exactly. But apparently just about 0.05% of the population isn't insured at all, so it's not a big deal.

CountDeMoney

Doesn't matter;  court's going to shut it down.  Scalia will make something up as he goes along like usual, and Clarence's wife will tell him how to rule.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2012, 10:08:05 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 26, 2012, 10:02:12 PM
Wait, there's somebody out there who still buys the death panels claptrap?

I like how pulling somebody off government entitlements is a death sentence.  Who knew?

Really.  The same way not giving someone free birth control equates to denying them any access to it.  Or even worse, a War on Women :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Health insurance from an employer = Free medicine?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

So what happens when the individual mandate is struck down? Will America finally be a democracy again?

Phillip V

After today's arguments before the US Supreme Court, CNN legal correspondent says health law 'looks like it's going to be struck down'.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/03/toobin-health-law-looks-like-its-going-to-be-struck-118811.html