News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash for Cameron Scandal Breaks

Started by Sheilbh, March 24, 2012, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteTory Peter Cruddas sold access to PM, Sunday Times alleges

Conservative Party co-treasurer Peter Cruddas offered access to the prime minister and chancellor for £250,000, the Sunday Times has alleged.

It has footage of him apparently making the offer to undercover reporters.

London-based Mr Cruddas was appointed Tory co-treasurer in June 2011 and is the founder of online trading company Currency Management Consultants Ltd.

The Conservative Party said it would investigate but pointed out no donation had actually been accepted.

Labour has challenged the Prime Minister to "come clean" about what he knew about the matter, and when he knew of it.

In the footage, Mr Cruddas is heard discussing what access different size donations would get.

"Two hundred grand to 250 is Premier League... what you would get is, when we talk about your donations the first thing we want to do is get you at the Cameron/Osborne dinners," he says.

"You do really pick up a lot of information and when you see the Prime Minister, you're seeing David Cameron, not the Prime Minister.

"But within that room everything is confidential - you can ask him practically any question you want.

"If you're unhappy about something, we will listen to you and put it into the policy committee at number 10 - we feed all feedback to the policy committee."

Labour questions
A statement from the Tories said: "No donation was ever accepted or even formally considered by the Conservative Party.

"All donations to the Conservative Party have to comply with requirements of electoral law, and these are strictly enforced by our compliance department."

The BBC was unable to contact Mr Cruddas via the Conservative Party.

Labour MP Michael Dugher said: "Time and again the Tory party has been the obstacle to capping donations from wealthy individuals. Now it appears obvious why.

"David Cameron should come clean. Will the PM say exactly what he knew and when about an apparent effort to sell access and influence in Downing Street?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17501618
There's a video on the link.

'Things will open up for you...It'll be awesome for your business.'  I don't think that's just because of the photo with Cameron.

The actual story's in the Sunday Times (Murdoch's revenge? :o) so it's paywalled I'm afraid.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Well it didn't take long for the Tories to start falling apart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2012, 07:40:51 PM
Well it didn't take long for the Tories to start falling apart.

No, I think this is advertising; there saying we're open to Any offers.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

That was essentially the previous governor's slogan here.  "Missouri is open for business".  The guy was such a failure he didn't even try to get re elected.  I suppose it didn't help that one of the largest energy companies in the state was represented by his brother.  Said business also accidently destroyed a state park due to negligence.  Lucky nobody was killed in that fiasco.  Now they want to build a new nuclear power plant.  Well maybe.  They want to have the money to build it, they aren't sure they are actually going to build it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Cruddas has resigned.  When a story claims a scalp the same night I think it's going to be a big one:
QuoteTory co-treasurer Peter Cruddas resigns over cash for access to prime minister

Peter Cruddas, the Tory party co-treasurer, who has resigned after footage emerged of him apparently offering accesss to the PM for cash. Photograph: Eamonn McCabe for the Observer

The Tory party co-treasurer Peter Cruddas has resigned after it was revealed he was offering access to the prime minister and chancellor for up to £250,000. He was forced out after footage emerged of him apparently making the offer to undercover reporters.

In his resignation statement last night the senior Conservative official responsible for collecting donations for the party said he deeply regretted the repercussions of his "bluster" during the recorded conversations. He added: "Clearly there is no question of donors being able to influence policy or gain undue access to politicians. Specifically, it was categorically not the case that I could offer, or that David Cameron would consider, any access as a result of a donation. Similarly, I have never knowingly even met anyone from the Number 10 policy unit.

"But in order to make that clear beyond doubt, I have regrettably decided to resign with immediate effect."

Cruddas, the founder of online trading company Currency Management Consultants, is heard discussing how much access different-sized donations would get, during an undercover operation run by the Sunday Times.

In the footage, he is heard to say: "Two hundred grand to 250 is premier league ... what you would get is, when we talk about your donations the first thing we want to do is get you at the Cameron/Osborne dinners.

"You do really pick up a lot of information and when you see the prime minister, you're seeing David Cameron, not the prime minister. But within that room everything is confidential – you can ask him practically any question you want.

"If you're unhappy about something, we will listen to you and put it into the policy committee at No 10 – we feed all feedback to the policy committee."

A Tory party source said Cruddas's position had been made untenable by the revelations. He added: "He has only been in position for three weeks but has clearly gone over the top and well beyond anything that would be tolerable to the party. It appears a case of him showing off."

The newspaper claims the offer was made even though Cruddas knew the money would come from a fund in Liechtenstein that was not eligible to make donations under electoral law. Options said to have been discussed included creating a British subsidiary or using UK employees as conduits. The overseas clients were, in fact, reporters posing as wealth fund executives who had made clear they wished to develop contacts with the prime minister and other senior ministers to further their business.

The revelations will be a considerable embarrassment for the government, especially in the wake of claims in the budget of a crackdown on wealth in offshore havens. Cameron has also made political mileage out of his intention to run a sleaze-free government.

In the last 18 months there have been three major resignations: the chief secretary to the treasury, David Laws, energy secretary Chris Huhne and defence secretary Liam Fox.

During a three-month investigation the Sunday Times claims to have hired Sarah Southern, a former Cameron aide now working as a lobbyist, who advised that making a "huge donation" was the best way to gain access to senior government figures. Her connections are said to have led to a two-hour meeting with Cruddas this month in which he laid bare the extent to which the party has been prepared to sell access to Cameron.

Last night Cruddas said he had acted without the knowledge of the leadership of the party. A Tory spokesman added: "No donation was ever accepted or even formally considered by the Conservative party. All donations to the party have to comply with requirements of electoral law, and these are strictly enforced by our compliance department."

The disclosures appear to contradict previous claims by the Conservatives that their high-value donor groups, such as the "leader's group", are for genuine supporters who do not seek to influence policy in return for their cash.

They also raise questions about the role of the prime minister. Months before taking office, Cameron warned that this type of "secret corporate lobbying" was the "next big scandal waiting to happen".

Yet the Sunday Times claims the meetings, at which Cruddas claimed "premier league" donors could lobby the prime minister directly, have not been declared to the public.

Cruddas, who built a £750m fortune through financial spread-betting, is also a member of the party's controlling board.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2012, 08:35:34 PM
Cruddas has resigned.  When a story claims a scalp the same night I think it's going to be a big one:
QuoteTory co-treasurer Peter Cruddas resigns over cash for access to prime minister

Peter Cruddas, the Tory party co-treasurer, who has resigned after footage emerged of him apparently offering accesss to the PM for cash. Photograph: Eamonn McCabe for the Observer

The Tory party co-treasurer Peter Cruddas has resigned after it was revealed he was offering access to the prime minister and chancellor for up to £250,000. He was forced out after footage emerged of him apparently making the offer to undercover reporters.

In his resignation statement last night the senior Conservative official responsible for collecting donations for the party said he deeply regretted the repercussions of his "bluster" during the recorded conversations. He added: "Clearly there is no question of donors being able to influence policy or gain undue access to politicians. Specifically, it was categorically not the case that I could offer, or that David Cameron would consider, any access as a result of a donation. Similarly, I have never knowingly even met anyone from the Number 10 policy unit.

"But in order to make that clear beyond doubt, I have regrettably decided to resign with immediate effect."

Cruddas, the founder of online trading company Currency Management Consultants, is heard discussing how much access different-sized donations would get, during an undercover operation run by the Sunday Times.

In the footage, he is heard to say: "Two hundred grand to 250 is premier league ... what you would get is, when we talk about your donations the first thing we want to do is get you at the Cameron/Osborne dinners.

"You do really pick up a lot of information and when you see the prime minister, you're seeing David Cameron, not the prime minister. But within that room everything is confidential – you can ask him practically any question you want.

"If you're unhappy about something, we will listen to you and put it into the policy committee at No 10 – we feed all feedback to the policy committee."

A Tory party source said Cruddas's position had been made untenable by the revelations. He added: "He has only been in position for three weeks but has clearly gone over the top and well beyond anything that would be tolerable to the party. It appears a case of him showing off."

The newspaper claims the offer was made even though Cruddas knew the money would come from a fund in Liechtenstein that was not eligible to make donations under electoral law. Options said to have been discussed included creating a British subsidiary or using UK employees as conduits. The overseas clients were, in fact, reporters posing as wealth fund executives who had made clear they wished to develop contacts with the prime minister and other senior ministers to further their business.

The revelations will be a considerable embarrassment for the government, especially in the wake of claims in the budget of a crackdown on wealth in offshore havens. Cameron has also made political mileage out of his intention to run a sleaze-free government.

In the last 18 months there have been three major resignations: the chief secretary to the treasury, David Laws, energy secretary Chris Huhne and defence secretary Liam Fox.

During a three-month investigation the Sunday Times claims to have hired Sarah Southern, a former Cameron aide now working as a lobbyist, who advised that making a "huge donation" was the best way to gain access to senior government figures. Her connections are said to have led to a two-hour meeting with Cruddas this month in which he laid bare the extent to which the party has been prepared to sell access to Cameron.

Last night Cruddas said he had acted without the knowledge of the leadership of the party. A Tory spokesman added: "No donation was ever accepted or even formally considered by the Conservative party. All donations to the party have to comply with requirements of electoral law, and these are strictly enforced by our compliance department."

The disclosures appear to contradict previous claims by the Conservatives that their high-value donor groups, such as the "leader's group", are for genuine supporters who do not seek to influence policy in return for their cash.

They also raise questions about the role of the prime minister. Months before taking office, Cameron warned that this type of "secret corporate lobbying" was the "next big scandal waiting to happen".

Yet the Sunday Times claims the meetings, at which Cruddas claimed "premier league" donors could lobby the prime minister directly, have not been declared to the public.

Cruddas, who built a £750m fortune through financial spread-betting, is also a member of the party's controlling board.

Good news and bad news, it certainly holes below the waterline Camerons claim to being an honest guy you can trust.

Incidentally is it just me, or does that guy in the photo, just ooozzz slime-ball ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I know.  With looks like that and making his millions out of spread betting, what could go wrong? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Siege

What cameron? James Cameron or Cameron Diaz?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

That's nice to see Tories are branching out from their traditional sex scandal area.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 08:44:23 PM

Good news and bad news, it certainly holes below the waterline Camerons claim to being an honest guy you can trust.

Incidentally is it just me, or does that guy in the photo, just ooozzz slime-ball ?

I have nothing to add at the moment.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2012, 03:00:52 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 08:44:23 PM

I have nothing to add at the moment.

Thank you for letting us know.

Richard Hakluyt

Cruddas' scalp is not going to impress the other chaps down at the lodge  :huh:

Martinus

The guy looks like he could play a devil on some modern scifi show.

Martinus

Btw, is Sunday Times Murdoch-owned? If so, this looks like a big revenge/warning thing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on March 25, 2012, 01:25:22 AM
What cameron? James Cameron or Cameron Diaz?

I thought it was Cash for Cameroon.