Lost piece of Mozart music premieres in Salzburg

Started by Syt, March 23, 2012, 11:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17490070

QuoteA previously unknown piece by Mozart, believed to have been written when he was as young as 10, has been uncovered in Austria.

The piece, thought to have been composed in 1767 or 1768, was found in a notebook in an attic.

Researchers recently determined there was strong evidence Allegro Molto is a Mozart composition.

It was transcribed into a notebook bearing the name Del Signore Giovane Wolfgango Mozart.

Although the music was not written in the hand of Mozart or his father Leopold, historians at Salzburg's Mozarteum foundation strongly believe it is by the burgeoning composer.

Music expert Hildegard Herrmann-Schneider said only Leopold Mozart used this name when writing down his son's name.

The 160-page handwritten notebook, dated 1780, also contained musical works written by Mozart's father.

Austrian musician Florian Birsak performed the four-minute piece at Mozart's childhood home on his original piano.

He said: "It's not just anyone's piece, there is already a touch of the great Mozart he later became."

In 2009, researchers uncovered two pieces of music believed to have been written when Mozart was seven or eight.

You can hear the full piece here:
http://salzburg.orf.at/news/stories/2526167/
(Have to scroll down a bit to the "play" button.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I presume your compositions from when you were 10 were better?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

If it weren't for that French law I'd be inciting hatred of Tim RIGHT NOW <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 24, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
If it weren't for that French law I'd be inciting hatred of Tim RIGHT NOW <_<

I'm not in Paris right now ;)