How would you describe your involvement with contemporary politics?

Started by Martinus, April 11, 2013, 02:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you describe your involvement with mainstream politics?

Politics is my job (politician, political journalist, etc.)
3 (7.7%)
I'm actively involved in politics but it is not my job (e.g. political activist)
3 (7.7%)
I'm not involved, but I take great interest in politics, even if it does not directly affect me (e.g. politics of other countries)
22 (56.4%)
I take a moderate interest in politics, but mainly when it affects me directly
7 (17.9%)
I am not really interested in politics, and pay attention only when I am directly affected
3 (7.7%)
I actively avoid any mainstream politics, e.g. for ideological reasons
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on April 11, 2013, 08:37:04 AM
I'm an appointed prosecutor in a small town in Mississippi.  Politics is my life.

:huh:

I would hardly describe my life as being politics due to my job.  Perhaps things are different in MS.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

I am not really interested in politics, and pay attention only when I am directly affected or I can annoy someone else.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phillip V

Quote from: Phillip V on April 11, 2013, 05:15:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2013, 03:31:42 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on April 11, 2013, 03:09:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2013, 02:52:32 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on April 11, 2013, 02:49:32 AM
I may eventually choose option 1 in order to increase my wealth.

Choosing option 1 rarely increases wealth.
Politician?

Outside of corruption, I don't think politics is a money-making job. It's rather the kind of job you take when you already got money in other jobs (such as legal services, business, private equity etc.) and want prestige/power to match that.
You are describing what many rich people choose to do. That does not preclude political office being a money-making opportunity. Many political positions pay $100k+, even at the local level, not to mention generous healthcare, pension, etc.

Further, lucrative jobs await upon leaving politics.

The income of disgraced former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner zoomed to almost $500,000 in 2012 by becoming a political consultant to businesses. He is now exploring a run for NYC mayor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/nyregion/jobless-after-scandal-weiner-triumphs-in-corporate-world.html

garbon

Other than for attention, I don't know why he'd want to run for mayor other than for attention. Ever insightful huffpo though thinks he has a real shot.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I'm an appointed prosecutor in a small town in Mississippi.  Politics is my life.

Just make sure you're appointed on the right side of the aisle.  I was a political appointee for a Republican in the state of Maryland, and my resume's been paying for it ever since.

KRonn

I picked number 3. That's the most accurate even though I'm not as active about political issues.

Warspite

Needed an option for "policy, not politics, is my job" as the two are closely linked but distinct.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on April 30, 2013, 08:26:51 AM
Needed an option for "policy, not politics, is my job" as the two are closely linked but distinct.

I think you just needed an other. That option is a bit too personalized. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 08:29:08 AM

How would you classify, then, civil servants working for central ministries or departments?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on April 30, 2013, 08:31:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2013, 08:29:08 AM

How would you classify, then, civil servants working for central ministries or departments?

How many of those do we have?

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2013, 09:17:13 AM

:huh:

I would hardly describe my life as being politics due to my job.  Perhaps things are different in MS.
You're forgetting that Scipio ran for office once.  Don't worry, the voters forgot as well.