SWIFT sanctions may lead to Iran's economic collapse

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2012, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
Good idea. Economic sanctions have toppled many a dictators, with no need of military intervention. Milosevics, Qadaffi, the North Koreans, Assad...

Assad isn't gone yet, and in fact is winning.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2012, 10:05:15 PM
Its not all good news.
I mean yey, the bad guys suffer and have their evil building efforts scuppered.
But....it will cause the Iranian middle class- quite westernised and modern folks who don't agree with the regime at all- to suffer, and could set back their progress a long way. So really messing with Iran's evolution towards being a decent non-crazy place.
Your belief in what the wishful thinkers tell you is adorably Tim-like.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Is it possible for Iran to trade through an intermediary to get around this?  Also, I totally see an oil tanker with gold going to Iran and coming back with oil. 

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on March 23, 2012, 07:10:36 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2012, 03:40:40 AM
Good idea. Economic sanctions have toppled many a dictators, with no need of military intervention. Milosevics, Qadaffi, the North Koreans, Assad...

Assad isn't gone yet, and in fact is winning.

YOU DON'T SAY

Valmy

Drakken is trying to show how Swedish he can act.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 22, 2012, 08:49:59 PM
Well, they have terrorists all over the world, apparently just waiting for the word to strike.

:lol:

:tinfoil:

Time to avoid the local convenient stores.

Seriously though Iran is a bunch of incompetent morons.  That is why they are in this position in the first place.  Coordinating tons of freelancers ready to sacrifice themselves?  Yeah right.  They may give money and weapons to some groups but they do not have a network of fanatical super terrorists ready to die for their national interests.
Are you seriously disputing this? Hezbollah, supported by Iran's Quds group, has been working with Mexican drug cartels, making money in the drug trades. And there are reports of Hezbollah operatives in the US. Some reports came out this week by US law enforcement and/or intel agencies.

KRonn

Quote from: KRonn on March 23, 2012, 12:11:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 22, 2012, 08:49:59 PM
Well, they have terrorists all over the world, apparently just waiting for the word to strike.

:lol:

:tinfoil:

Time to avoid the local convenient stores.

Seriously though Iran is a bunch of incompetent morons.  That is why they are in this position in the first place.  Coordinating tons of freelancers ready to sacrifice themselves?  Yeah right.  They may give money and weapons to some groups but they do not have a network of fanatical super terrorists ready to die for their national interests.
Are you seriously disputing this? Hezbollah, supported by Iran's Quds group, has been working with Mexican drug cartels, making money in the drug trades. And there are reports of Hezbollah operatives in the US. Some reports came out this week by US law enforcement and/or intel agencies. Not too long ago Iranians were blamed for trying to kill the Saudi ambassador in Washington DC. Plus various attacks and killings of Israelis in other nations. Iran is getting bolder.

Razgovory

Wait Iran is making money on Mexican drug trade?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2012, 12:20:18 PM
Iran's proxies Hezbollah. Who knows, maybe some of that cash may flow to Iranian groups like Quds which supports Hezbollah.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 23, 2012, 12:11:26 PM
Are you seriously disputing this?

Yep.  I hear this song and dance all the time.  People are always pumping these little shit poor rogue states like they are major threats.  They are minor annoyances that get portrayed as some sort of evil empire just because...boredom?  This  even happened to the Soviet Union and they actually were an evil empire  but you would have thought they were basically omnipotent they way they were talked about back in the Cold War days.

QuoteHezbollah, supported by Iran's Quds group, has been working with Mexican drug cartels, making money in the drug trades. And there are reports of Hezbollah operatives in the US. Some reports came out this week by US law enforcement and/or intel agencies.

Hezbollah = not agents of the Iranian government, they serve a group of angry Lebanese and Iran likes them so they give them stuff.  But proxies?  Please.  Hezbollah does whatever it wants.  And even so Hezbollah cannot project power anywhere.  They cannot even control Lebanon much less have a network of sinister operatives.  What does that even mean Hezbollah 'operatives'?  They are a freaking militia.  They are not the KGB.  As for making money off of the Mexican Drug Trade...well that is no big deal so do half the High School dropouts in Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Hey Valm, I heard Hezbollah helped topple the Mali government  :secret:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on March 23, 2012, 12:57:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2012, 12:20:18 PM
Iran's proxies Hezbollah. Who knows, maybe some of that cash may flow to Iranian groups like Quds which supports Hezbollah.

Or Santa Claus perhaps.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2012, 01:49:15 PM

Their agents in the State of Florida helped get that Stand Your Ground law passed.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2012, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2012, 01:49:15 PM

Their agents in the State of Florida helped get that Stand Your Ground law passed.

And they've also offed a bunch of Arabic linguists!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall