News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British Women and Profanity

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2012, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I don't know if it's just selection bias in who comes to work in Korea, but I've met dozens of twenty-something Brits (almost all English) and Irish and a distinct pattern has emerged.

The women swear like sailors, while the men, though they have accents just as thick and charmingly quaint vocabularies, almost never swear. What gives?  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Also the women are larger then the men.  And uglier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 07:21:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 07:19:56 PM
Also the women are larger then the men.  And uglier.
Not true.

It is also possible that  there is only one British gender.  And what you are seeing are just more feminine males.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 07:18:08 PM
I don't know if it's just selection bias in who comes to work in Korea, but I've met dozens of twenty-something Brits (almost all English) and Irish and a distinct pattern has emerged.

The women swear like sailors, while the men, though they have accents just as thick and charmingly quaint vocabularies, almost never swear. What gives?  :hmm:

You're probably encountering middle class women and men. 
I've only ever encounter 1.5 English middle class women who don't swear, whereas I've know quite a few welsh and Scotish women who won't and a surprising number of working class men who don't.

Of course many middle class English men swear, in an effort to fit in, which never works.

And it's all a question of swings and roundabouts, as I've worked with plenty of men from the north-east, whose every third word is fuckin', but it's just a verbal punctuation/tic which has no meaning or emphasis at all.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2012, 07:28:58 PM
Of course many middle class English men swear, in an effort to fit in, which never works.

It would help if they used proper profanity.  "Bugger all"?  C'mon, man.

Eddie Teach

Wot's your bloody beef with bugger?  :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Richard Hakluyt

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 07:18:08 PM
The men are attempting to endear themselves with the locals by giving an impression of politeness in the hope of getting laid.

The women have no chance of getting laid by either the locals or their fellow tourists so don't bloody bother.

Zanza

Quote from: Brazen on March 19, 2012, 05:43:15 AM
The women have no chance of getting laid by either the locals or their fellow tourists
:huh:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Can't say I've ever noticed this.
I'd guess teaching in Asia tends to attract the nicer, nerdier brand of male (i.e. not too into swearing) whilst it attracts the adventurous, slightly crazy, brand of female.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 19, 2012, 03:08:25 AM
What a load of old cobblers.

Too right.  These tossers and rotters are all at sixes and sevens.
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on March 19, 2012, 06:15:49 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 19, 2012, 05:43:15 AM
The women have no chance of getting laid by either the locals or their fellow tourists
:huh:

Indeed, ALL women have a chance of getting laid.  Unlike the reverse...there is always some guy who will pick up what ever is being put out there.