News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reason #5,110 to hate lottery winners

Started by CountDeMoney, March 16, 2012, 05:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 08:46:36 PM$1 million: computer game--WitP level of detail, plus diplomatic and grand strategic options, full war.

This one might actually make a small profit.  Gotta be 20,000 schmucks out there willing to pay $50 for it.  Or 50,000 willing to pay $20.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2012, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 08:46:36 PM$1 million: computer game--WitP level of detail, plus diplomatic and grand strategic options, full war.

This one might actually make a small profit.  Gotta be 20,000 schmucks out there willing to pay $50 for it.  Or 50,000 willing to pay $20.

Matrix game version- $500
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

On the other hand, $2 million is probably no where near enough for a condo in the Burj Kalifa. 

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2012, 09:01:36 PM

Wait for the sale - $495.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

I hope it's a raging success. The MMO market badly needs a kick in the ass.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 09:00:28 PM
I think you missed the part where most of my purchases are appreciating investments or take advantage of programs to actually put me ahead. :P

Either that or you hate animals. :(

I see a depreciating vehicle and property with expensive taxes. 120k a year for 10 years is chump change. Nice try though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Then when I try to purchase it, they'll charge me twice. <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2012, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 09:00:28 PM
I think you missed the part where most of my purchases are appreciating investments or take advantage of programs to actually put me ahead. :P

Either that or you hate animals. :(

I see a depreciating vehicle and property with expensive taxes. 120k a year for 10 years is chump change. Nice try though.

The 120k is a paper transaction, from the trust to me.

Property taxes are a cost of business if you own substantial real estate holdings.

I'm also not sure million dollar cars depreciate in the same fashion as the proverbial Honda Accord.  Maybe the way I'd be likely to drive one.

Oh, here's one I forgot: $1 million, check to U.S. Treasury. :)  (Contingent on Democratic Congress.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Paradox version: $50.
Working Paradox version: $100.
Fun Paradox version: priceless.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 10:58:14 PM
Property taxes are a cost of business if you own substantial real estate holdings.

Yes and you have to have the money to pay them. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 08:46:36 PM

$2 million: condo in Burj Khalifa.

$1 million: license from Dubai government to drop pennies on migrant workers.

WTF? :yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

I'd buy Mono a one way ticket to America
Raz a new basement
CdM the seed money to relocate to Wyoming to start his teaching career at UWyo
ticket for Lettow to go to Japan and never ever post on Languish again.

Just first few things off top of my head.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Would the interest on $10 million or so insufficient to pay property taxes on $3 million worth of holdings and buy Reese's cups and such?  I dunno.

I could also work some kind of actual job.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on March 28, 2012, 11:09:13 PM

Oh, like that would get used.  You might as well buy Grallon a call girl or get me a football.
Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2012, 11:11:04 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 28, 2012, 11:09:13 PM

Oh, like that would get used.  You might as well buy Grallon a call girl or get me a football.

What if i bought Grallon you?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son