And we're back!

Main Menu

Musings on friendship

Started by Lettow77, March 13, 2012, 09:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 12:32:32 PM
Raz, I have liked Japan for a long time. Anime fans and Japanophiles are different sorts; in fact, the former tends to resent the latter and try to distance themselves. Liking anime is just the most visible part of it; those who looked would note a pronounced buddhist influence on my opinions, a good grasp on Japanese history, an interest in tea & tea ceremony that exceeds my affection even for anime, and of course a dedicated study of the language. I have a broad appreciation for most parts of what Japan does.

You state you appreciate "what Japan does", but you only cite Japanese history, language, buddhism, anime, and tea.

There's a hell of a lot about Japan that is also crass and vulgar.  And I don't pretend to know Japan at all.

Unless and until you come to terms with that you're going to be sadly disappointed with Nippon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

Oh, I know. Japan isn't gensokyo- it's still a place in this earth. It has plenty of things I don't like. It has more things I like than I listed; it is an entire country with a particularly distinctive way of doing things, so of course it is going to have an entire nation's worth of aspects. On the balance, I like most of them.

But really, Barrister, I think you more than most people would be happy to see me disappointed. It absolutely won't happen; There is no scenario existent in which I will withdraw from Japan in disgrace, unhappiness and disappointment.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 02:46:59 PM
But really, Barrister, I think you more than most people would be happy to see me disappointed.

I'm sorry you feel this way Lettow.  I hate your casual racism, but I don't hate you and wish you all the best.  I hope you find what you are looking for - I merely predict you won't find it.

By the way and speaking of racism, you do know that Japan is a deeply racist culture, right?

I mentioned my one-time Japanese high school girlfriend.  Did I ever mention that I was told in no uncertain terms I would EVER meet her family, as they would not approve of her going out with a white boy.

Lettow77

I do! I do I do I do!

Needless to say it was difficult, and there was much soul-searching and I had to find myself
but eventually I came to terms with Japan's horrible racist ways

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 02:54:54 PM
but eventually I came to terms with Japan's horrible racist ways

Not that difficult, what with jerking off into that Confederate flag under your bed all these years.

Lettow77

As i've said before, it's an opportunity for me to be the subservient, happy and docile minority we've always wanted

I'll keep my head down and do what Real Folks tell me, until they want to be entertained
then i'll say whatever I most think they want to hear an amerifat say.

"O yassuh I had three guns back home, mmhm, and eatin dat buttuh out de tub sho' is good"

Malthus

I gotta admit, Lettow as American cultural ambassador and exemplar to Japan is gonna be amusing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

anyone else foresee lettow using scotch tape to try to pass as japanese?

and as always, the face eating. There will be face eating one day.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Lettow77

I intend to spread Confederate propaganda when I can get away with it. I don't think there are many more fertile audiences- They don't know much about the subject, don't have hangups about mistreatment of slaves, and I can try to peddle a story of common victimhood in which the North nukes Japan and burns Atlanta without any provocation whatsoever :)

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2012, 02:53:29 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 02:46:59 PM
But really, Barrister, I think you more than most people would be happy to see me disappointed.

I'm sorry you feel this way Lettow.  I hate your casual racism, but I don't hate you and wish you all the best.  I hope you find what you are looking for - I merely predict you won't find it.

He's confusing you with me Beeb
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 02:58:49 PM
As i've said before, it's an opportunity for me to be the subservient, happy and docile minority we've always wanted

:yeahright:

Did I mention how much I hate your casual racism?

Lettow77

I owe languish a debt- now I've got this rapturous joie de vivre from imagining the stories I'll spin

ho ho, such a gentle life of yukkuri- athens upon the cumberland was despoiled by foul mixed-blood hirelings
The aristocracy and responsible rulers of the land were overrun by wanton pursuit of lucre

IT WAS SO LIKE THE EDO PERIOD
the employless warriors become aesthetes, and the floating world seemed to stretch on forever
when the foul Black Ships of abolition came and opened our sacred, sheltered South and changed it irrevocably

ee! It is so possible to love the South, languish, provided one confines it to a South of fantasy, a South that was or may never have been

Malthus

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 14, 2012, 03:01:46 PM
I intend to spread Confederate propaganda when I can get away with it. I don't think there are many more fertile audiences- They don't know much about the subject, don't have hangups about mistreatment of slaves, and I can try to peddle a story of common victimhood in which the North nukes Japan and burns Atlanta without any provocation whatsoever :)

The problem is that the Japanese respect success (however won) and distain failure. :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Lettow77

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2012, 03:06:13 PM

Did I mention how much I hate your casual racism?

Subservience is the grist that turns the wheels of civilized society

It's both lubricating and delicious, akin to bacon grease