News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Photos of Napoleonic veterans

Started by JonasSalk, March 14, 2012, 10:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonasSalk

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/05/photographs-of-napoleons-veterans/

Quote'Photographs of veterans of Napoleon's Grande Armée and the Guard wearing their original uniforms and insignia.  Likely date May 5, 1858 – all are wearing the Saint Helene medal, issued on August 12, 1857 to all veterans of the wars of the Revolution and the Empire. May 5 – the anniversary of the death of Napoleon. Every year on that date veterans gathered in Paris:

''The base and railings of the column of the Place Vendôme appear this day decked out with the annual offerings to the memory of the man whose statue adorns the summit. The display of garlands of immortelles, and other tributes of the kind, is greater than usual... the old soldiers of the Empire performed their usual homage yesterday at the same place.'

Times - May, 1855'

- Brown University Library

Yuman

Martim Silva

Those are also the oldest soldiers in uniform ever taken on photo.

I remain fascinated everytime I look at them, though. Those men would be over 200 years old today. I wonder what they could tell us... especially the Mamluke.

Malthus

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 14, 2012, 11:12:50 AM
Those are also the oldest soldiers in uniform ever taken on photo.

I remain fascinated everytime I look at them, though. Those men would be over 200 years old today. I wonder what they could tell us... especially the Mamluke.

I also wonder what they would say if they were alive today.

Probably something along the lines of "let me out of this box! I can't breathe! Help!".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Admiral Yi

Valmy

If only today's war veterans could fit into their uniforms 50 years on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

JonasSalk

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2012, 03:08:18 PM
If only today's war veterans could fit into their uniforms 50 years on.

I see a great many who can. Unless you mean the Afghan/Iraq vets. Those will likely be mega fat in 50 years.
Yuman