News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hot Dogs Cause Butt Cancer

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2012, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Hmm...I don't eat hot dogs, but I do eat a lot of sausage. :unsure:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/13/10671418-sausage-industry-blasts-hot-dogs-cause-butt-cancer-ad-in-chicago

QuoteSausage industry blasts 'Hot Dogs Cause Butt Cancer' ad in Chicago

By M. Alex Johnson, msnbc.com

A billboard is bluntly telling Chicagoans that hot dogs cause "butt cancer" — and the hot dog industry is not amused.

The billboard is one of a series of ads being put up in major cities by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, or PCRM, urging people to stop eating hot dogs, which it says are a leading cause of colon and other cancers.

The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council — which you can find at the wonderful URL hot-dog.org — reacted immediately to the billboard, which went up recently on the Eisenhower Expressway.

Calling the ad "outrageous" and "inflammatory," the trade group dismissed the PCRM as a "pseudo-medical animal rights group" bent on turning all Americans into vegans.

The PCRM has put up similar billboards in other cities, like this one in Miami:
IMG

and this one in Indianapolis:
IMG

But Janet Riley, president of the hot dog council, said in a statement that hot dogs are "part of a healthy, balanced diet" and said the PCRM ads "are an effort to seek attention for their animal rights cause."

The PCRM — a nonprofit group based in Washington whose membership includes thousands of physicians, dietitians and nutritionists — does advocate for elimination of food industry practices that it contends are cruel to animals, and it does endorse a vegetarian diet. It says its opposition to meat isn't political but is instead based on a decade of research that it says show that processed meats are a leading cause of diabetes and heart disease.

Just this week, the Harvard School of Public Health published the results of a 28-year survey tracking the diet and health of 122,000 medical professionals, which indicated that eating a daily serving of red meat increased the risk of early death by 13 percent, NBC News' Robert Bazell reported.

But in her written statement, Riley urged consumers to check with "your doctor, dietician [sic] or the U.S. Dietary Guidelines," not the PCRM, for their dietary advice.

"You can be assured that they will tell you that a healthy diet can include processed meats like hot dogs alongside your vegetables, grains and dairy," she said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

They are revolting in any case.
PDH!

Caliga

I had mung beans, spinach, and rice for dinner. :)

But now I want a damn hot dog. :rolleyes:

garbon

Who goes around worried about butt cancer?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2012, 08:13:20 PM

One day I had a craving, so I bought a Speedway gas station hotdog. MY STOMACH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2012, 08:18:41 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2012, 08:13:20 PM

One day I had a craving, so I bought a Speedway gas station hotdog. MY STOMACH.

I don't understand anything in your post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2012, 08:21:19 PM
Even I know better than that. :console:

Let us not mention the 2 for 2.22 slices of pizza there.  :blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

You know who has surprisingly decent dogs?  7-11.

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2012, 08:08:16 PM
Hmm...I don't eat hot dogs, but I do eat a lot of sausage. :unsure:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/13/10671418-sausage-industry-blasts-hot-dogs-cause-butt-cancer-ad-in-chicago

QuoteSausage industry blasts 'Hot Dogs Cause Butt Cancer' ad in Chicago

No shit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 08:27:25 PM
We don't have 7-11s here, but I seem to recall from my time in Philly that you are correct.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2012, 08:29:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2012, 08:27:25 PM
We don't have 7-11s here, but I seem to recall from my time in Philly that you are correct.
7-11 is all over Korea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

We have a bunch of other chains, like Speedway, Super America, Thornton's, and Circle K.  But no 7-11.  I miss Slurpees. :(

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2012, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2012, 08:21:19 PM
Even I know better than that. :console:

Let us not mention the 2 for 2.22 slices of pizza there.  :blush:

Yikes.  First off, just about every Speedway around here is like a leper colony.  No clue what attracts so much riff-raff.  Secondly, I get a Crohn's flare-up just looking at any gas station food. 

You're a brave man.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall