News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SimCity 5

Started by Tonitrus, March 08, 2012, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on March 18, 2013, 12:34:57 PM
From good to better: EA is offering a free game to everyone buying SimCity before March 25, and one of the choice games is... SimCity 4  :lol:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/18/a-sorry-tale-ea-offering-simcity-4-to-simcity-5-buyers/#more-146249

L.

Also, I guess it's not no surprise that Sim City 4 deluxe is n.6 or 7 top selling game on steam at the moment. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

More than a million units sold.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/simcity-surpasses-1-million-sales

QuoteMaxis' SimCity has sold 1.1 million copies in its first two weeks, EA has revealed. More than half of those sales stem from Origin and other digital distribution services.

EA also noted some fun facts about SimCity's opening weeks:

• SimCity players have logged more than 15 million hours of online gameplay. • More than 5.7 million original cities have been created since launch. • More than 780 million buildings have been built. • SimCity mayors to date have built enough road and railroad tracks to circle the globe more than 40,000 times.

Not bad for a game that barely functioned in its early days.

Recently, EA awarded SimCity buyers with a free game in apology for the city-building sim's numerous online issues. The publisher claims to have increased server capacity by over 400% since release.

:bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Of course that number is what vindicates the suits at EA. Looking at their bottom line, they've succeeded, a vocal minority on the intertubes notwithstanding.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

sbr

Maybe.  The sales from the micro shop may be a bigger gauge of "success".

Warspite

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2013, 11:59:23 PM
More than a million units sold.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/simcity-surpasses-1-million-sales

QuoteMaxis' SimCity has sold 1.1 million copies in its first two weeks, EA has revealed. More than half of those sales stem from Origin and other digital distribution services.

EA also noted some fun facts about SimCity's opening weeks:

• SimCity players have logged more than 15 million hours of online gameplay. • More than 5.7 million original cities have been created since launch. • More than 780 million buildings have been built. • SimCity mayors to date have built enough road and railroad tracks to circle the globe more than 40,000 times.

Not bad for a game that barely functioned in its early days.

Recently, EA awarded SimCity buyers with a free game in apology for the city-building sim's numerous online issues. The publisher claims to have increased server capacity by over 400% since release.

That's a whopping 6 hours per unit sold per week.

For a game like SimCity, where previous iterations have been some of the deepest time-sinks known to man, that's not great.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Maladict

Quote from: Warspite on March 19, 2013, 09:05:46 AM

For a game like SimCity, where previous iterations have been some of the deepest time-sinks known to man, that's not great.

I figured it would be more like a casual game you can play on facebook. Pass.

Finally got SC4 up and running again, but the thought of hunting down those thousands of custom buildings is just too depressing.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Maladict on March 19, 2013, 09:20:16 AM
Quote from: Warspite on March 19, 2013, 09:05:46 AM

I figured it would be more like a casual game you can play on facebook. Pass.

Finally got SC4 up and running again, but the thought of hunting down those thousands of custom buildings is just too depressing.

if you can find the Simtropolis or SC4Devotion DVD's you'll have oodles of custom stuff.
Make sure you have NAM31 though

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Such is the way of the modern industry sadly.
That and mobile phone gaming.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/03/maybe-simcitys-balance-breaking-ad-dlc-isnt-all-bad/

QuoteGood news! SimCity's gotten a potentially substantial piece of DLC, and it's totally free. Bad news! It's a gigantic ad for car company Nissan. Worse news! Its in-game functionality seems to make your city planning decisions even less consequential than before, which is quite a feat. Worst news! SimCity isn't a very good game at all, even with its online issues mostly cleared up. Contrary opinion! This is one seemingly asinine move I think we should only partially leap down EA's throat for. So maybe, like, just put in one leg. And do it kind of gently. Avoid the teeth, if you can.

First off, here's how the Nissan Charge Station works:

Quote"Plopping down the Nissan Leaf Charging Station will add happiness to nearby buildings. Adding the Charging Station will not take power, water or workers away from your city. Zoom in to the streets of cities and players will start seeing a percentage of their Sims from all wealth classes driving the electric vehicles. The Charging Station produces no garbage or sewage as well making it pollution free."

That's right: pure happiness with no consequences. Would that green living in the real world was so easy. Or living, for that matter. As is, the latest science calculates that ten puppies are required for every one unit of human happiness. And scientists can't even study the phenomenon without breaching a certain puppy-induced happiness threshold. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, this doesn't exactly seem like the best bandaid for an already broken game, and honestly, it sounds like it could stomp the remaining pieces of Maxis' once-fine series into a fine powder.

I do not, however, like the idea of damning this move completely. Because the fact is, ads (at least, where appropriate in the context of their respective games) could make heftier pieces of DLC completely free. We don't see the idea in practice all that often these days, but it is worth considering – especially in light of the fact that DLC costs money to produce, and not everyone can afford to pull a Valve and drop it on our doorsteps without asking for even a dime. Admittedly, SimCity's is pretty much a textbook example of how not to do this, but ads are not inherently bad.

Further, this type of practice could maybe extricate important chunks of content from the countless, Hydra-like jaws of pre-order schemes, which is something I think would be pretty wonderful. Then again: big, obvious ads or pre-orders. At that point, you're kind of picking your poison.

But then, I suppose that's triple-A gaming these days. Rarely (if ever) do we get to have our cake and eat it too, because the cake can't make back its development costs even if it sells 3.4 million units – er, slices; whatever – in its first few weeks. In a ideal world, we'd get everything upfront with a nice bow and a cake and reassurance that, no, your childhood pet fish didn't die; it really did just up and decide to move to Disneyland. But that's not the world we live in, so concessions are a painful, oftentimes annoying necessity.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Part of me is beginning to suspect this Sim city 5 business is all a cunning ploy by ea to kill off maxis remaining hopes to do something other than endless Sims expansions.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

You know, I have to say that I'm a little bit surprised that they would make their DLC into ads.  Sure, you get to double-dip on the revenue, but it's a little bit crass, even for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.