News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Heart disease drug 'combats racism'

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2012, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

ZOMG! The UN will dump it in our drinking water!!111 :tinfoil:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9128888/Heart-disease-drug-combats-racism.html
QuoteHeart disease drug 'combats racism'
A common heart disease drug may have the unusual side-effect of combating racism, a new study suggests.

Volunteers given the beta-blocker, used to treat chest pains and lower heart rates, scored lower on a standard psychological test of "implicit" racist attitudes.

They appeared to be less racially prejudiced at a subconscious level than another group treated with a "dummy" placebo pill.

Scientists believe the discovery can be explained by the fact that racism is fundamentally founded on fear.

Propranolol acts both on nerve circuits that govern automatic functions such as heart rate, and the part of the brain involved in fear and emotional responses. The drug is also used to treat anxiety and panic.

Experimental psychologist Dr Sylvia Terbeck, from Oxford University, who led the study published in the journal Psychopharmacology, said: "Our results offer new evidence about the processes in the brain that shape implicit racial bias.

"Implicit racial bias can occur even in people with a sincere belief in equality. Given the key role that such implicit attitudes appear to play in discrimination against other ethnic groups, and the widespread use of propranolol for medical purposes, our findings are also of considerable ethical interest."

Two groups of 18 participants took part in the study. Each volunteer was asked to undertake a "racial Implicit Association Test" (IAT) one to two hours after taking propranolol or the placebo.

The test involved categorising positive and negative words, and pictures of black and white individuals, on a computer screen.

Differences in the time taken to carry out the tasks provided the basis of the result.

More than a third of the volunteers had a "negative" IAT score, meaning they were biased towards being non-racist at a subconscious level. This was not seen in any member of the placebo group.

Propranolol had no effect on a different measure of "explicit" racial prejudice, religious and sexual prejudice, or prejudice against drug addicts.

These were tested using a "feeling thermometer" psychological tool used for assessing explicit prejudice. Volunteers were asked to rate how "warm" they felt towards different groups on a 10-point scale analogous to a thermometer.

The scientists wrote: "The main finding of our study is that propranolol significantly reduced implicit but not explicit racial bias."

Despite the study's small size and limitations, the researchers believe it raises important ethical and philosophical questions.

Co-author Professor Julian Savulescu, from Oxford University's Faculty of Philosophy, said: "Such research raises the tantalising possibility that our unconscious racial attitudes could be modulated using drugs, a possibility that requires careful ethical analysis.

"Biological research aiming to make people morally better has a dark history. And propranolol is not a pill to cure racism. But given that many people are already using drugs like propranolol which have 'moral' side effects, we at least need to better understand what these effects are."

But Dr Chris Chambers, from the University of Cardiff's School of Psychology, said the results should be viewed with "extreme caution".

He said: "We don't know whether the drug influenced racial attitudes only or whether it altered implicit brain systems more generally.

"And we can't rule out the possibility that the effects were due to the drug incidentally reducing heart rate. So although interesting, in my view these preliminary results are a long way from suggesting that propranolol specifically influences racial attitudes."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

How do these things even become news stories? The sample size is tiny. Anyway, we've known for a while beta blockers have significant effects on the mind. We also give them to soldiers who are about to enter or have just returned from traumatic battle experiences because it helps lower the rate of PTSD. At least in that instance, the control switch to your lizard brain is stuck in the on position and the beta blocker helps turn it off.

Razgovory

Okay, the last thing we need is someone who knows something about the subject. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I should just eat handfulls of these things.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: M. Reynolds
Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

I took atenolol one night for my nerves and woke up in a pillowcase and bedsheets!  Really need to give this other beta-blocker a shot...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

I took beta blockers a couple of times to combat my hands shaking.  They shake - doctors have told me it's nothing to worry about, but it can make me look nervous.

Once was 12 years ago for articling interviews.  Then again a couple years ago for another job interview.  They did not make me feel very good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 07, 2012, 09:20:52 PM
Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that.

Malcolm Reynolds is a Luddite and an asshole.  Maybe next time the Pax would work.  HE AIN'T A SCIENTIST.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on March 08, 2012, 01:23:24 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 07, 2012, 09:20:52 PM

Malcolm Reynolds is a Luddite and an asshole.  Maybe next time the Pax would work.  HE AIN'T A SCIENTIST.
Would it be a good thing if it did work?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Obviously.  I think someone wasn't paying attention.
Kinemalogue

Syt

I received beta-blockers a few years ago in Germany for two weeks. The most notable effect for me was that I was extremely relaxed and had an "I don't care" attitude. So it wouldn't surprise me that people would score lower on "hot button" topics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2012, 12:08:44 AM
I took beta blockers a couple of times to combat my hands shaking.  They shake - doctors have told me it's nothing to worry about, but it can make me look nervous.

Once was 12 years ago for articling interviews.  Then again a couple years ago for another job interview.  They did not make me feel very good.
Did the doctors prescribe you beta blockers because you can look nervous?  :huh:

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2012, 12:12:19 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2012, 12:08:44 AM

Did the doctors prescribe you beta blockers because you can look nervous?  :huh:

First time I got the prescription from my aunt, who is a MD.

Second time, I just asked my GP.  No problem.

:mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I was on Propranolol for a while for my high blood pressure.  Unfortunately, like most drugs known to man, it was ineffective against my resistant hypertension.  Apparently, only Kryptonite can affect my black Irish heart.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2012, 12:12:19 AM

I imagine that would be a pretty big impediment for his job. A nervous-looking prosecutor may not be convinced he's got the right guy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?