News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

D&D 4th Ed. Character building

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 04, 2009, 10:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2009, 12:41:42 PM
I'll stop bashing you for it once you've played it.  You see, the bashing is not about your intention to play the game but about you talking with great conviction about something you haven't had experience with  :hug:
I've read the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition Campaign Setting.  I have twenty-one years of experience with the Forgotten Realms setting.  I would say that I have as much experience as anybody on this forum, and probably more.

So fuck off and die, preferably of some awful disease that you picked up in Chinkland.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 12:57:03 PM
When I was rather young, my friends and I played D&D based on the map of Europe.  Our adventuring party conquered the island of Elba, because it seemed about the right size.

Whenever I started a new campaign I always picked a real life ancient location.  Part of the fun of my veteran players was trying to figure where and when they were and once they had figured that out, they needed to figure out what twists I had made to DnDify the world.

It was always great fun.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PM
I've read the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition Campaign Setting.  I have twenty-one years of experience with the Forgotten Realms setting.  I would say that I have as much experience as anybody on this forum, and probably more.

The nerd rage is strong in this one. :lol: :nerd:

vinraith

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2009, 12:41:42 PM
I'll stop bashing you for it once you've played it.  You see, the bashing is not about your intention to play the game but about you talking with great conviction about something you haven't had experience with  :hug:

I DM'd FR for 10 years and I approve this message.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PMI've read the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition Players Guide.  I have twenty-one years of experience with the Forgotten Realms setting.  I would say that I have as much experience as anybody on this forum, and probably more.

If you were paying attention you would've noticed that I agree with you on the 4E Forgotten Realms and am not you castigating on that end.  You for your part have not said anything particularly outlandish (once the usual Neil filter has been applied of course).  You've read the new FR stuff and compared to what you know, you think it's shit.  That's a fair assessment based on actual knowledge, and one I agree with.

The main target of my mocking is Valmy who's going on about how the system without having played it.

QuoteSo fuck off and die, preferably of some awful disease that you picked up in Chinkland.

If I end up with a disease like that I'll make sure to infect you and yours before I expire :)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2009, 01:08:06 PM
The nerd rage is strong in this one. :lol: :nerd:

That is why he is a righteous man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 12:49:55 PMI have experienced the FR campaign setting for years.  Stories and changes that were lame in 2nd Ed are still lame in 4th Ed.

You have every right to be annoyed at the FR changes.  No worries there.  I was all about giving them the benefit of the doubt, but having it seen it I have to agree they're pretty shit.

QuoteUnfortunately you come off more as a 4th Ed fanboi who cries whenever we say something mean about it.  Even if the plot of the FR campaign setting has nothing to do with the rules changes of 4th Ed.

:lol:

Look, my point is simple.  Judge 4E once you've played it a bit, not on internet hyperbole.

As for Forgotten Realms, the only thing that's funny is Neil whining about whiners having their way.  I actually agree with him (and you) that they didn't do right by FR with the recent changes.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2009, 01:10:27 PM
The main target of my mocking is Valmy who's going on about how the system without having played it.

Please tell me where I have gone on and on about the system.  I have never made any comments about the system that I am aware of.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 12:49:55 PM
Unfortunately you come off more as a 4th Ed fanboi who cries whenever we say something mean about it. 
Or just a troll.

At any rate, I'll probably never play 4th edition.  My reasons are many, but paramount is this:  As you get older, and people get wives and kids, it's hard to get a game together.  A bunch of guys in my group got together to playtest it while I was in Europe.  The response was largely negative.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PMI've read the Forgotten Realms 4th]

So fuck off and die, preferably of some awful disease that you picked up in Chinkland.

If I end up with a disease like that I'll make sure to infect you and yours before I expire :)

You should stockpile ether in case it's an STD.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 01:16:44 PMPlease tell me where I have gone on and on about the system.  I have never made any comments about the system that I am aware of.

Ok.  Maybe you haven't.   :blush:

Really, I just wanted to post something about "nerdrage".

Syt

This thread has broken several levels of nerd barriers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:22:22 PM
At any rate, I'll probably never play 4th edition.  My reasons are many, but paramount is this:  As you get older, and people get wives and kids, it's hard to get a game together.  A bunch of guys in my group got together to playtest it while I was in Europe.  The response was largely negative.

My wife and my friends kids are playing with us.  Which is one of the reasons it is taking so long to get everybody ready to play.  When it was just us guys we had our priorities straight.

Neil

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:02:56 PMI've read the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition Players Guide.  I have twenty-one years of experience with the Forgotten Realms setting.  I would say that I have as much experience as anybody on this forum, and probably more.

If you were paying attention you would've noticed that I agree with you on the 4E Forgotten Realms and am not you castigating on that end.  You for your part have not said anything particularly outlandish (once the usual Neil filter has been applied of course).  You've read the new FR stuff and compared to what you know, you think it's shit.  That's a fair assessment based on actual knowledge, and one I agree with.

I talked shit about 'Artillery'.  Although the explanation you gave is sensible, the whole thing still rubs me the wrong way.  It immediately makes me think I'm playing Warhammer.
QuoteSo fuck off and die, preferably of some awful disease that you picked up in Chinkland.

Actually, funny thing, I'm panimmune.  Still, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't kill my wife with your slanty-eyed viruses.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 01:22:22 PMOr just a troll.

:blush:

QuoteAt any rate, I'll probably never play 4th edition.  My reasons are many, but paramount is this:  As you get older, and people get wives and kids, it's hard to get a game together.  A bunch of guys in my group got together to playtest it while I was in Europe.  The response was largely negative.

Fair enough, if your group isn't into it it isn't worth it.  God knows there is more than enough material out there to run games in any of the older editions for a long long time.  Every so often I get a strong hankering to run a 1 - 36 BECMI campaign... mainly to get to Test of the Warlords, my favourite module ever.