Your favorite team doesn't give a damn about you

Started by CountDeMoney, March 07, 2012, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 07, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
probably liek most board of directors, bribes :P

But they are unpaid...but maybe they just crave the vast power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2012, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 07, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
probably liek most board of directors, bribes :P

But they are unpaid...but maybe they just crave the vast power.
but they're usually employed somewhere else, or have ties to people who are. Compensation comitties are a funny you scratch my back i scratch yours type of gig.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2012, 03:29:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2012, 02:52:47 PM
If that.  Shares are just frame-able collector's items you get in exchange for a donation to the team.

Having said that, the Packers do seem to be pretty loyal to their fans in general.

So how is their board of directors selected if there are no shareholders? :unsure:

There are technically shareholders.  And if you own shares you are allowed to vote for their board of directors.  But you get no dividends, cannot sell the share to anyone else, and the team has the right to buy back at 2.5 cents a share (vs. the $250 per share paid to the team in last year's issue).

More info: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Blogs/Business-Buzz/2011/12/11/The-Green-Bay-Packers-Worst-Investment-Ever.aspx#page1
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Does bourbon really keep that long?  My impression is that hard liquors are not like wine: age doesn't do them any favors.  I think that the son did his dad a favor.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2012, 04:46:16 PM
Does bourbon really keep that long?  My impression is that hard liquors are not like wine: age doesn't do them any favors.  I think that the son did his dad a favor.

:rolleyes:  Silly Russian.  Liquors keep indefinitely.  Bourbon does not age in the bottle like wine.  It ages in the barrel.  It should taste pretty much the same the day it's bottled as it does 20 years later.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

e: ^^ what he said ^^

I don't think it really does anything in the bottle.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2012, 04:49:17 PM

:rolleyes:  Silly Russian.  Liquors keep indefinitely.  Bourbon does not age in the bottle like wine.  It ages in the barrel.  It should taste pretty much the same the day it's bottled as it does 20 years later.
My understanding was that they definitely taste worse with age (in the bottle, not the barrel).

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2012, 04:56:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2012, 04:49:17 PM

My understanding was that they definitely taste worse with age (in the bottle, not the barrel).

As long as the bottle is properly sealed, that is incorrect.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 07, 2012, 04:53:19 PM
e: ^^ what he said ^^

I don't think it really does anything in the bottle.

I found a... 30 or so year old bottle of Jack Daniels at my parent's place while helping with some cleaning.  It was still sealed and stoppered.  The bad part?  There were some kind of odd floating particles in it.  Almost looked like the glass was coming apart in the Jack or something. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 07, 2012, 05:25:18 PM
I found a... 30 or so year old bottle of Jack Daniels at my parent's place while helping with some cleaning.  It was still sealed and stoppered.  The bad part?  There were some kind of odd floating particles in it.  Almost looked like the glass was coming apart in the Jack or something. <_<

That sucks.  Did you open it and see if that's what it really was?  I guess the upside is it was only Jack Daniels and so it's easily replaceable vs a bottle of Louis XIII or something crazy.

Sophie Scholl

I brought it to a local bar for an auction to benefit a guy who had died.  It managed to "disappear" prior to the auction, so I never got to find out how it was. :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

fhdz

QuoteI did that partially because I needed to swap out my Steve Foley jersey after he was shot by the cops

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

I have an old bottle of Maker's Mark that's got the same thing in there, BA.  It was bottled in 1971.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2012, 07:20:31 PM
I have an old bottle of Maker's Mark that's got the same thing in there, BA.  It was bottled in 1971.
Can you try drinking it?  I'm curious to see if it kills you.