Main Menu

Another Gold-Star Pedophile

Started by garbon, March 07, 2012, 11:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2012, 12:43:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:38:44 PM
CC, the article quoted talks about sexual deviance in general and not pedophilia in particular.

So what.  Are you trying to argue that pedophilia isnt a form of sexual deviancy?

No. Did you even read the rest of my post?

If a study finds a correlation trend between A and B, it does not necessarily mean that the same trend exists between A and a small subset of B.

Yeah, that is the point of the article and my original post.  You should stop.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2012, 12:43:57 PM
CC, the article quoted talks about sexual deviance in general and not pedophilia in particular.

So what.  Are you trying to argue that pedophilia isnt a form of sexual deviancy?

No. Did you even read the rest of my post?

If a study finds a correlation trend between A and B, it does not necessarily mean that the same trend exists between A and a small subset of B.

It's a pretty safe assumption to make however unless there is evidence to the contrary.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

BB, I presented one possible argument why the trend can be skewed - as I said, a lot of sexually deviant behavior is not strongly condemned by religious organizations and/or can actually be practiced under the guise of religious devotion. Pedophilia is unique in that, of all sexual deviations, it is the only one that is universally (at least in the Western world) recognized as morally evil.

I assume we all know the list of sexual deviations, right? Because maybe you guys have only a vague idea of what we are talking about.

Hint: homosexuality, or bisexuality isn't one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:53:51 PM
I assume we all know the list of sexual deviations, right? Because maybe you guys have only a vague idea of what we are talking about.

I will wait until Garbon signs onto being part of the "we" are you are referring to.  So far I read Garbon's point clearly and I understand what he is saying.  I have no idea what you are saying.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2012, 12:56:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:53:51 PM

I will wait until Garbon signs onto being part of the "we" are you are referring to.  So far I read Garbon's point clearly and I understand what he is saying.  I have no idea what you are saying.

By "we" I mean you, BB and I - i.e. people engaging in this discussion. I find your posts here to be unnecessarily aggressive and it beats me why.

In addition, I find the fact that you deliberately omit my actual argument in your quotations while quoting side stuff (e.g. what "we" in my post refers to) to be a proof that you are not interested in having any debate but rather stirring the shit up.

MadImmortalMan

I will admit to not knowing the full catalog of sexual deviancy. The only things I think of as deviant are kiddie fiddling and sex with non-sentient beings unable to consent.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

The list:

- exhibitionism
- fetishism
- frotteurism
- pedophilia
- masochism
- sadism
- transvestitism
- voyeurism

Masochistic fetishists can be quite happy as devout catholics. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2012, 12:58:16 PM
By "we" I mean you, BB and I - i.e. people engaging in this discussion. I find your posts here to be unnecessarily aggressive and it beats me why.

As I suspected, you did not understand my post.  I was responding to Raz's post, not your insecurities.

MadImmortalMan

So you're oversensitive about it because you like feet.  :P

Who decides this list anyway? What purpose does it serve?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

CC, the article quoted talks about sexual deviance in general and not pedophilia in particular. I'd say that world religions have extremely varying attitude to those, and you could even say that some forms of sexual deviance can be encouraged (or at least tolerated or easily mistaken for religious devotion) by some religions.

For example, a lot of fetishists and masochists could easily disguise their behaviour as devout worship in the catholic church.

Edit: Btw, the article talks about seven forms of deviance - I thought there were eight.

Which article are you referring to?  I can't see a reference to seven forms of deviancy in either.

CC - did you know your study was from 1983?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 07, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
So you're oversensitive about it because you like feet.  :P

Who decides this list anyway? What purpose does it serve?

I am not sure Marti is right that his list is what the author of the study I posted was talking about.

The Brain

What the hell is wrong with 1983?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2012, 01:22:46 PM
CC - did you know your study was from 1983?

Yep,

It appears there has not been a lot of work in this area since then.  my recollection of these studies comes from my undergrad years when I read them. Which is why I prefaced my remarks with iirc there were studies that found these correlations.

I am not sure why there has not been much study since then.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2012, 12:32:56 PM
I don't know that the letter writer as all that incredibly rare.  A sexual attraction to adolescants or pre-pubescent children is not unheard of, and does not guarantee that someone will commit an offence.  The attraction itself of course is not illegal - only acting out on it.
Hell, a sexual attraction to adolescants is downright common, and is pretty well reinforced by cultural factors, especially if you take into account the older adolescants.  Yeah, the young end of the scale gets treated like pedophiles, but attraction by adults to 16 year olds is pretty common.
QuoteI think the article vastly overplays the "problem" of mandatory reporting.  Yes, if a therapist meets with the letter writer they will likely contact police.  But if the person is not and has not committed any offence, and is not in a high risk situation (such as working at an elementary school, or living with young children) I can't imagine they will do a darn thing about it.
It's never a good idea to bank the rest of your life on the benevolence of law enforcement.  These are people whose job includes jailing people for harmless infractions against their byzantine regulations.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.