News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Countdown to the Iran War Megathread

Started by Tamas, March 07, 2012, 08:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

As speculations mount, one is worse than the other. Apart from mandatory optimism, nobody appears to be convinced at all that a Jewish (or even an American) air campaign could put an end to the Iranian nucular program. Most estimates count with a 3-4 years delay imposed at the price of a highly destabilized region and unpredictable consequences.

Not good.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2012, 03:48:00 AM
As speculations mount, one is worse than the other. Apart from mandatory optimism, nobody appears to be convinced at all that a Jewish (or even an American) air campaign could put an end to the Iranian nucular program. Most estimates count with a 3-4 years delay imposed at the price of a highly destabilized region and unpredictable consequences.

Not good.
If the Iranians retaliate in a big way and the US responds by destroying Iranian infrastructure wouldn't that tank the entire Iranian economy for years to come? They'd hardly be in a position to pursue their nuclear ambitions then.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2012, 03:57:35 AM

Not good.
If the Iranians retaliate in a big way and the US responds by destroying Iranian infrastructure wouldn't that tank the entire Iranian economy for years to come? They'd hardly be in a position to pursue their nuclear ambitions then.

I am not sure that cementing in the religious leadership for 75 more years is such a grand idea.

CountDeMoney

Not good.

Nobody is operating under the assumption that air strikes can end their program, and it doesn't have to.

A 3 or 4 year delay is exactly that.  And guess what?  You hit them again in 2 years, and delay them again.  And again.  And you keep hitting them until they come to the conclusion that having a nuclear programs is more costly than achieving one.  Nuclear programs are interlocked in such a way that you destroy one aspect of it, it retards the rest of the larger program.

Personally, in the meantime I like the asymmetrical approach of targeted assassination of specific Iranian talent along with continued cyber-assaults on their Industrial Control Systems and supply chain.

Hansmeister

Blow up their singular oil refinery and take out some of their oil fields and then watch as the regime falls apart as it can't bribe their domestic and foreign supporters any more.

mongers

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2012, 06:56:10 AM
Blow up their singular oil refinery and take out some of their oil fields and then watch as the regime falls apart as it can't bribe their domestic and foreign supporters any more.

So why didn't the US use these tactics against Saddam ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 09, 2012, 07:15:20 AM

Not flashy enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 09, 2012, 07:15:20 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on March 09, 2012, 06:56:10 AM

Maybe Saddam wasn't an Iranian? :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2012, 05:15:37 AM

Not good.

Nobody is operating under the assumption that air strikes can end their program, and it doesn't have to.

A 3 or 4 year delay is exactly that.  And guess what?  You hit them again in 2 years, and delay them again.  And again.  And you keep hitting them until they come to the conclusion that having a nuclear programs is more costly than achieving one.  Nuclear programs are interlocked in such a way that you destroy one aspect of it, it retards the rest of the larger program.

Personally, in the meantime I like the asymmetrical approach of targeted assassination of specific Iranian talent along with continued cyber-assaults on their Industrial Control Systems and supply chain.

I am shocked that an American thinks that murdering civilians is great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

A guy building weapons can't really hide behind being a "civilian".

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2012, 09:10:32 AM
A guy building weapons can't really hide behind being a "civilian".

I don't get it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on March 09, 2012, 09:06:23 AM
I am shocked that an American thinks that murdering civilians is great.

It's more than great;  it's

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on March 09, 2012, 04:02:07 AM

I am not sure that cementing in the religious leadership for 75 more years is such a grand idea.

We saw how effective the opposition was back in 2009.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017