Started by Tamas, March 07, 2012, 08:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2012, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2012, 10:01:48 AM
Can you imagine if one was lost over Iran?

Iran's air defense radars would be so jammed in so many ways for a B2 sortie, they wouldn't even be able to use the coffee maker in the break room.

Yeah, but what if one just fucking broke down and crashed. They do that at the most inopportune times.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2012, 10:15:43 AM

Iran's air defense radars would be so jammed in so many ways for a B2 sortie, they wouldn't even be able to use the coffee maker in the break room.

Yeah, but what if one just fucking broke down and crashed. They do that at the most inopportune times.

True, but we survived the F-117 loss over Kosovo, what with all the embarrassing footage and parts getting overnighted to Moscow.

ZOMG IS THAT: BALSA?

Ed Anger

I remember when the Serbs on soc.culture.Yugoslavia was telling each other how to build anti-F117 devices out of aluminum foil and electronic bits.

good times.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2012, 10:15:43 AM

The Chinese likley already stole the plans through the many, many, backdoors and security holes in the military and defense contractors' computer networks.
PDH!

Razgovory

You know what is the problem with a plane like the B-2?

It is so awesome and amazing that you can't actually risk using it for a mission like this, which it would be freaking perfect for...

If there is serious risk that it could be lost it's not really so awesome amazing, is it?  I wonder if we have something better yet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 12:13:48 PM
If there is serious risk that it could be lost it's not really so awesome amazing, is it?  I wonder if we have something better yet.

We do.  It's called the B-52.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2012, 12:50:29 PM

It's 26 times better. :w00t:

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2012, 05:46:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2012, 12:50:29 PM

It's 26 times better. :w00t:

DGuller

It is so awesome and amazing that you can't actually risk using it for a mission like this, which it would be freaking perfect for...

That's the problem with having vast technological superiority.  You can't even shoot someone in the head, because the bullet in the bad guy's brain can uncover five technological secrets when recovered and sent to Moscow and Beijing.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on March 07, 2012, 05:50:21 PM

That's the problem with having vast technological superiority.  You can't even shoot someone in the head, because the bullet in the bad guy's brain can uncover five technological secrets when recovered and sent to Moscow and Beijing.
That's not really an issue though.  Beijing already has technological parity thanks to their spies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Yeah, I think they already know what these things are made of.  I have a feeling that the reason they don't try to replicate the technology is that they aren't that impressed with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 07:31:03 PM
Yeah, I think they already know what these things are made of.  I have a feeling that the reason they don't try to replicate the technology is that they aren't that impressed with it.

Doubt it.  I think they just don't have the technology to build whatever they reverse-engineered.  For all the Chicoms' economic advancement, a lot of their weaponry is still in the stone age.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2012, 07:57:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2012, 07:31:03 PM

Doubt it.  I think they just don't have the technology to build whatever they reverse-engineered.  For all the Chicoms' economic advancement, a lot of their weaponry is still in the stone age.

I don't know if our Allies have built anything that similar.