State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2012, 07:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Recently the NDP party in this province required all candidates running for the leadership of the party to hand over all their passwords to social media so that they could be properly vetted.  One of the candidates complained to the Privacy Commissioner (our provincial watch dog on such matters) and won.

However, as a pratical matter most people are not careful enough about their privacy settings on Facebook etc that prospective employers etc can get most of what they want without needing the passwords.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

btw wasnt it Hortland who had to stop posting here because he wanted to run for political office in Sweden?

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 06, 2012, 12:34:12 PM
There are a couple of reasons why I never talk on Languish about details regarding my work.
how many nuclear site are there in sweden? :unsure:

3 NPPs (total 10 reactors), 1 nuclear fuel factory, 1 misc. There's also 2 closed NPPs (total 3 reactors). Plus some minor sites. The first Swedish reactor in Stockholm is no longer a nuclear site (Madonna's "Nothing Really Matters" video was shot in the old underground reactor hall).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

So there's a 1 in 12 chance that if i call a facility and ask about the guy with a weird fascination about farm animals i can track you down? :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2012, 12:52:25 PM
btw wasnt it Hortland who had to stop posting here because he wanted to run for political office in Sweden?
that's a scary thought. but he was doomed anyway once the opposition keyed in on his teenie girl lust.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on March 06, 2012, 12:59:52 PM
So there's a 1 in 12 chance that if i call a facility and ask about the guy with a weird fascination about farm animals i can track you down? :unsure: :P

It's not weird in Sweden so you may have some problems finding me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

:lol: You're a good guy brain, even if the thought that you could eradiate a good chunk of sewden is off putting.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

You can make sub-groups on Facebook these days. "Friends" don't have to see all of your posts depending on what category you put them in. Place coach as a friend that can't see your wall posts... ta-da.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2012, 08:07:17 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2012, 07:51:36 AM
I believe the Constitutional right to privacy has long been debated vis a vi as to whether or not it actually exists.  Privacy is not guaranteed.  And these people are not being forced to give out passwords, they are doing it voluntarily to get a job.

I don't think it actually exists.  At least not in the Constitution.

Right to be secure in your person, house, effects, and papers.  It's in the Fourth Amendment.  It's the first line.  You know, it's not a very long document.

That said, certainly you can waive it.

In any event, it would be good for me, since my Facebook doesn't really exist, and dummies who post about how they fed their girlfriend Ajax or something won't get jobs I want.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on March 06, 2012, 03:20:14 PM
I believe the Constitutional right to privacy has long been debated vis a vi as to whether or not it actually exists.  Privacy is not guaranteed.  And these people are not being forced to give out passwords, they are doing it voluntarily to get a job.

Right to be secure in your person, house, effects, and papers.  It's in the Fourth Amendment.  It's the first line.  You know, it's not a very long document.

The limits of that are up for debate.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2012, 12:48:49 PM
If this was an issue, just delete the account.

Or just make a second fake account that you show employers.  Done.

I mean it is not spying if they ask you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2012, 03:31:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 06, 2012, 03:20:14 PM

The limits of that are up for debate.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Raz was being silly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)