McCain calls for US-led airstrikes on Assad forces

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2012, 06:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 07:16:32 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2012, 09:58:46 PM
Hmm.  How many damned wars would we be fighting right now if McCain had become prez?

Georgia had settled down by election day, so probably two.

Which one would be the other one, because I don't think Johnny Skyhawk would've surrounded himself with the same anti-Saddamites as Bush did.  He would've been too busy leveling Afghanistan into surplus driveway gravel.

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking about 2000, when he truly had a chance to be a great American President, not 2008.

Darth Wagtaros

I liked McCain in2000.  It is a tragedy he was not elected over Gore or Bush.
PDH!

Razgovory

Concur.  Were it not for Iraq we would have had a much stronger hand against Iran.  We would have toasted their nuclear facilities years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2012, 07:57:10 AM
I liked McCain in2000.  It is a tragedy he was not elected over Gore or Bush.

Yes, yes it is.

Razgovory

Actually, I got caught up in the McCain mania back then.  I really liked his talk on Campaign Finance reform.  Coming from a political family and seeing more fund raisers then I cared to remember somewhat influenced me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Hmm.  How many damned wars would we be fighting right now if McCain had become prez?

He'd stick to SOFA so Iraq's gone.  Afghanistan, Syria and he wanted more on Libya too.  He also called for increased military involvement in Yemen - but not intervention - I think it was more counter-terrorism.  So if we discount Iraq, Yemen and Iran we're up to four countries he's wanted to intervene or increase the military presence in but possibly up to five or six.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2012, 05:53:29 PM
He'd stick to SOFA so Iraq's gone.  Afghanistan, Syria and he wanted more on Libya too.  He also called for increased military involvement in Yemen - but not intervention - I think it was more counter-terrorism.  So if we discount Iraq, Yemen and Iran we're up to four countries he's wanted to intervene or increase the military presence in but possibly up to five or six.

Libya's already wrapped up.  I was counting Syria and Iran.  Afghanistan I'd forgotten about, that makes three.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2012, 07:14:52 PM
Whatever Obama is doing at the time, pick the opposite.  How shrewd.
I think McCain is a much stronger war hawk than he is an Obama basher.  This has nothing to do with Obama, McCain just really likes advocating wars.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2012, 05:56:26 PMLibya's already wrapped up.  I was counting Syria and Iran.  Afghanistan I'd forgotten about, that makes three.
McCain wanted more in Libya.  Given that the way the countries gone and is going I don't think it would be wrapped up yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Really, my view is if they'd been any more confrontational with the Russians then it would have been a prelude to WW3.

Docking that coast guard vessel with relief supplies and flying some more in via the airport was most they could do, short of flying in troops to Tbilisi to 'stop' the Russians taking the city.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Back on topic, is anyone at all optimistic about what might happen in Syria ?

The rest of this year is going to be a bloody time in Syria.

I can't foresee any policy that's going to significantly affect the amount of fighting/slaughter. 

I find the position of many on the left, that intervention or what is happening now is caused by western imperialism, as bizarre as the fewer siren calls from the right for air strikes and fuller military backing for the rebels.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I think they'll blow it like Egypt did. Possibly become a different sort of Iranian puppet than they are now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 06, 2012, 07:09:27 PM
I think they'll blow it like Egypt did. Possibly become a different sort of Iranian puppet than they are now.
What do you mean by Egypt blew it?
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2012, 05:58:07 PM
I think McCain is a much stronger war hawk than he is an Obama basher.  This has nothing to do with Obama, McCain just really likes advocating wars.

Correct.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on March 06, 2012, 07:06:33 PM
Back on topic, is anyone at all optimistic about what might happen in Syria ?

The rest of this year is going to be a bloody time in Syria.

I can't foresee any policy that's going to significantly affect the amount of fighting/slaughter.

I find the position of many on the left, that intervention or what is happening now is caused by western imperialism, as bizarre as the fewer siren calls from the right for air strikes and fuller military backing for the rebels.

Seal it off & let them fight it out.  I think the West is damned if we intervene & possibly damned if we don't.  Safest thing is to do nothing.  Whomever prevails will hate us, so to hell with both sides.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall