News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HoI3 Betas

Started by szmik, March 12, 2009, 12:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 21, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 14, 2009, 12:17:00 PM
I got in and will work hard.
Awesome.
I disagree.

Why? Now we have someone on the inside and that we can blame for the inevitable bugs caused by an early release.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Didn't know they'd even had the application time.
Probally wouldn't run on my computer anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Faeelin

Quote from: szmik on March 12, 2009, 12:45:18 PM
Was anyone here chosen to betatest HoI3?

I was not.  :(
Probably because of the map sucks comment ;)

What, they're not letting you buy the game when it comes out?

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2009, 09:57:34 PM
Why? Now we have someone on the inside and that we can blame for the inevitable bugs caused by an early release.
Nope. Betas are just volunteers. Blame the people who get the money and have the power. Paradox.  :P

PDH

Being a betatester is a lonely thing - your only real perk is when you work on a game that you realize will suck donkey balls, you know you will not get suckered into buying it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2009, 08:56:30 AM
Being a betatester is a lonely thing - your only real perk is when you work on a game that you realize will suck donkey balls, you know you will not get suckered into buying it.

This describes me and Victoria. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

I can't wait for this.

I'm thinking of reinstalling HOI2.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

Latest Development Diary.

QuoteWe have talked a bit about units and leaders already. However let’s just do a recap. The base structure of a land unit is a brigade, the smallest tactical unit is the division that is made up of one or more brigades. Units can be structured into a hierarchy of corps, army, army group and theatre. Each level can have its own commander with its own bonus.

Now for a bit more detail. First off we have added rank limitations to each level. So Divisions are commanded by Major Generals, Corps by Lieutenant Generals, Armies by full Generals and Army Groups and Theatres by Field Marshals. Next to bonuses. Commanders have a leadership skill and sometimes traits, in Hearts of Iron 2 these were used by all units in the stack and in the case of leadership skill applied in combat. So first up the division, each division commander gives a combat bonus to his division based on his skill and any trait bonus is received 100% by the division he commands if it applies.

A corps commander uses his leadership skill to boost the chance of a division in reserve entering combat if space is available and any trait bonus is passed to the relevant divisions at 50%. The bonus is passed to each eligible unit, the total bonus is increased by leader skill and radio strength of the unit and decreased by distance from the Army HQ. The more effective the radio communications of an HQ is, the better the HQ is and the easier it is to detect by SIGINT.

Army commanders aid organisation of all units under their command. The bonus is passed to each eligible unit, and the overall bonus is modified in the same way as corps, however an army commander has a longer range, the trait bonus is halved again.

Army Groups assist with logistics. All units under the command of an army group have reduced supply consumption. Again it is modified in a similar manner but has an even longer range than army commanders. The Trait bonus is halved yet again. Finally the theatre commander, he reduces the effects of the unit cooperation penalty for multiple brigades and is not modified by range. The theatre commander’s trait bonus is halved once more meaning it isn’t that much at all.

We naturally have an auto assign option for leaders that will take some of the headache out of managing the whole command structure, but you may want to guide the careers of those generals you favour. Also to help here each commander in combat gains experience. So corps of 3 divisions attacking will see all 4 commanders gain experience.

On to Divisions themselves. Since we last talked about them we have been working away testing and refining the system. This allows us to give more definitive answers about how the division system works. First up we can confirm the existence of the single brigade division (which if you use counters will be marked with a single x to denote it’s brigade status). This formation has a distinct disadvantage over other divisions in that it cannot have a commander, meaning it won’t receive any bonuses in combat. Secondly brigades can be transferred to and from divisions. You decide if you want to increase the number of your tank divisions by stripping out a tank brigade and replacing with a motorised, then feel free to. Similarly want to replace cavalry with armour? You can simply build an armoured brigade, add it to the division and remove the cavalry brigade. Then you either disband the cavalry or do something else with it.

Sounds altogether cool.  I wonder if something similar will be applied for Air and Naval as well.

Neil

Needs more dreadnoughts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

vinraith

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on April 30, 2009, 04:35:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 02:44:45 PM
Needs more dreadnoughts.

Have you seen this?
It actually came out?

I'm amused by the idea of a 'Professional Edition' for a VIDEO GAME.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 30, 2009, 04:35:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2009, 02:44:45 PM
Needs more dreadnoughts.

Have you seen this?
It actually came out?

I'm amused by the idea of a 'Professional Edition' for a VIDEO GAME.

Apparently.