News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama on Iran, Israel and Nukes

Started by Jacob, March 02, 2012, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think Obama erred in making this threat.

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on March 02, 2012, 03:50:28 PM
What would be really fucking great is if the Republicans could recognize that some issues transcend partisan politics, and this is one of them.
I agree, but I think foreign policy always comes across as reasonably non-partisan.  There's a lot more consensus at the top, or so it seems anyway.

And to be fair they do have a foreign leader who's willing to go along with it.  One of the reasons both Obama and Clinton administrations ended up hating working with Netanyahu is his willingness to effectively play in American politics to achieve his aims.

QuoteDid you read the interview?

The entire point was that Obama made it clear that in the scale of possible outcomes, Nuclear Iran came a distant second to US Bombs Iran. In other words, the US is pretty much stating that they will take military action if necessary to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.

I think Obama's point about the danger of proliferation is well made. It is not only about nuclear Iran, but about nuclear Saudi Arabia. And every other country in the region.
I agree.  The anti-proliferation point essentially says that it's in the essential national security interests of the US to stop an Iranian nuke.  That's aligning American interests with Israel's to a remarkable degree.  The question, I think, isn't whether Obama can convince Netanyahu but whether Netanyahu's willing to be convinced on this. 
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 02, 2012, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 02, 2012, 03:50:28 PM
What would be really fucking great is if the Republicans could recognize that some issues transcend partisan politics, and this is one of them.
I agree, but I think foreign policy always comes across as reasonably non-partisan.  There's a lot more consensus at the top, or so it seems anyway.

Only when planes full of people are flown into building full of more people are connected to Sunni dictators, and anything that could possibly be considered as questioning that is considered cowardice.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 02, 2012, 07:00:15 PM
How so?

Because I think he's bluffing and the mad mullahs are going to call.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2012, 07:39:12 PM
How so?
He might not think he's bluffing though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Why do we say the Mullahs are mad? Why is it assumed unreasoning, suicidal forces rule in Iran?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 02, 2012, 08:29:42 PM
Why do we say the Mullahs are mad? Why is it assumed unreasoning, suicidal forces rule in Iran?
Because they're Asian (and thus have diminished capacity for reason) and Muslim (and thus lack the ability to reason).
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2012, 09:23:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2012, 08:04:55 PM
You always think that.

This makes no sense Raz.

You always make the assumption that the Democrat will not use force.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Zoupa

GOTCHA MOMENT.

GOTCHA MOMENT.

GOTCHA MOMENT.

Berkut

Quote from: Kleves on March 02, 2012, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 02, 2012, 03:49:32 PM
The entire point was that Obama made it clear that in the scale of possible outcomes, Nuclear Iran came a distant second to US Bombs Iran. In other words, the US is pretty much stating that they will take military action if necessary to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.
Yeah, he says that. Now he just has to get Netanyahu to believe it. I mean, would Obama bomb Iran if it meant losing his reelection bid? Would he do it if he thought that it would cause the situation in Iraq/Afghanistan to spiral completely out-of-control? Would he bomb Iran if he thought it would hurt US interests, even if it would help Israeli interests? Doesn't Obama have to convince Netanyahu that the answer to all of these questions (among others) is 'yes'? Obama can say all the right things, but, in the end, Netanyahu is going to have to trust him enough to put Israel's future in Obama's hands.

If Obama thought any of those things were true, he wouldn't make a very public assurance that he would attack Iran rather than allow them to get a bomb.

Is there any more effective way to convince the Israelis that he is serious than a public and unambiguous statement?

I guess you can invent scenarios and then question his resolve under those scenarios - but why? Would he bomb them if it meant losing re-election? How could he know that doing so would lose re-election?

Are you just looking for a reason to be all pissed off at the man? This makes no sense - if in fact you are of the opinion that the US should take military action as a last resort to stop Iran from going nuclear, then how could it be that the US President stating publicly and clearly that we will do so be seen as some kind of negative?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2012, 07:39:12 PM
How so?

If he is bluffing, then you are correct.

I don't think he is bluffing, because there is no upside to such a bluff, so why make it?

Rather, if he really feels that he would NOT be willing to attack Iran if necessary, then why even try to call Israel off?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned