Raz Science question: Why no tiny Dinosaurs?

Started by Razgovory, February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Here is a truly heartwarming story of a rescue of an animal from total extinction - the gigantic stick insect, thought extinct for 80 years (!) makes a reappearance ...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

Well, yes they are hideous and gigantic. But still, amazing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on February 29, 2012, 06:43:28 PM
Here is a truly heartwarming story of a rescue of an animal from total extinction - the gigantic stick insect, thought extinct for 80 years (!) makes a reappearance ...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

M. thanks for that, I bet your son liked the story ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on February 29, 2012, 06:43:28 PM

Weird that this is showing up on NPR now... I read about that discovery years ago.  For some reason I want to visit Lord Howe Island/Ball's Pyramid. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Hey Cal, I liked your post about the evidence literally sitting about in your back lot, kinda in your face for any creationists who'd care to ask your or take a look.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Yeah, there are so many of them I really don't pay much attention to them anymore. :blush:  My dog likes to dig them up and I've played catch with him and individual fossilized clams before.  Last spring I was digging a hole to plant some blackberry brambles in and I dug up a huge rock o' clams, and just tossed it aside.  I guess it's probably sitting at the base of the osage orange tree I was digging under still.  I also gave my mom a bunch of them when she was here last to give to science teachers at her high school.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

If cal allows creationists on his property, they might try to dunk him in any standing body of water.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Siege on February 29, 2012, 06:40:57 PM
Those are rocks, dude.
So, your Judaism is so Arabic that you don't even believe in arthropods?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Neil on February 29, 2012, 07:48:49 PM
Those are rocks, dude.
Arabs believe in arthropods.  They eat them. :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on February 29, 2012, 08:01:40 PM
Those are rocks, dude.
Animals feeding upon animals.  It's the circle of life.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on February 29, 2012, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 29, 2012, 08:01:40 PM
Those are rocks, dude.
Animals feeding upon animals.  It's the circle of life.

Funniest post by you by far.

You are annoying most of the time.
Well, almost all the time.
Ok, all the time.

ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Are you drinking again?  You are going to have to stop getting so shit faced if you are going be a father.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Nonsense, he's not the one that's pregnant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

I know. My wife gave me a dealine already.
I have to make use of the time I got left.

And I am not drunk.

Yet.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"