Best Sports Movies by Sport

Started by Admiral Yi, February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 07:38:53 PM
Rugby - This Sporting Life

:yes:
Great film.
Amuses me how damn northern the people sound, its as if northerness has been steadily heading after more northwards and left modern Yorkshire people behind.

Best football film- Mike Basset, England Manager.
Another good film which is worth checking out despite not involving much actual football is the Iranian film Offside.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2012, 03:40:26 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 26, 2012, 03:36:32 AM
:lol:

Shit wasn't funny in 1982, man.

At least you fucking had cable.  Bataan death march?  Try the old "Indian Head Pattern" at random times in the day for the fuckstick little TV stations that didn't want to splurge on tapes.

Ok, I also had books too, but sitting in Mom's bed with a warm 7-up, a fever, and the TV with 2 stations and a barely functioning antenna readied me for Hell.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 25, 2012, 05:55:11 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
Slapshot (Ice hockey)

Miracle for Star-Spangled erections, long may they wave.

Oh, say can you see, by the dong's early rise...

Sorry, saw it and couldn't resist.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2012, 11:00:00 AM

At least you fucking had cable.  Bataan death march?  Try the old "Indian Head Pattern" at random times in the day for the fuckstick little TV stations that didn't want to splurge on tapes.

Ok, I also had books too, but sitting in Mom's bed with a warm 7-up, a fever, and the TV with 2 stations and a barely functioning antenna readied me for Hell.

We're not going to discuss 1978.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2012, 11:00:00 AM

Oh man, I remember flu TV. That is how I remember Kolchak, the Night Stalker.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

For some reason for me during flu TV all shows became The Mike Douglas show.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on February 26, 2012, 02:31:56 PM
For some reason for me during flu TV all shows became The Mike Douglas show.

Yeah, or game shows.  Wink  Fucking Martindale and Jack Fucking Barry.  Like that lever on The Joker's Wild actually fucking worked.  And watching a soused Richard Dawson feeling up polyester-suited non-MILFs from Arkansas during Family Feud provided little solace.

And people are, like, what about The Price Is Right? That came on at 11am, it was good for a mindless hour, right?
Dude, I'm staying home from school specifically because I don't want to deal with math.  And who gives a fuck about the actual retail cost of Turtle Wax and Rice-A-Roni, The San Francisco Treat.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valdemar

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2012, 05:08:19 PMSoccer: another weak field.  Maybe that one in the POW camp with Pele?  I haven't seen it.

Either The Damned United or Fever Pitch. Bend it like Beckham afterwards.

As for other sports, you have Invictus (rugby), Slapshot (Ice hockey), The Wrestler (pro wrestling), Nacho Libre (lucha libre, and based on a real story  :ph34r:), Wimbledon (tennis), Caddyshack (golf)...

there is one about bringing Leeds? or some other club in Leeds in to the premier in the 70s..

And I think its called Hooligan about.. hooligans.._p

V

CountDeMoney

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on February 26, 2012, 09:03:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 25, 2012, 07:38:53 PM
Rugby - This Sporting Life

:yes:
Great film.
Give Invictus a try :)

The Damned United was a great football film too.

For cycling I enjoyed Breaking Away but I daren't watch it these days, I suspect it's lost much of its charm.

Four Minutes about Roger Bannister was rather enjoyable and informative.

Brazen

Looking For Eric, which to be fair was more about the spirit of fandom rather than football itself, but very funny! Plus added Cantona :mmm:

Actually, I'm surprised at how many sports films I've actually seen :hmm:

Gups

Football: There's Only One Jimmy Grimble, closely followed by the Damned United.

Best football scene - Kes followed (quite a long way beyond) by Gregory's Girl.

Escape to Victory (as we call Victory) is what Orwell might have called a good bad film. You know it's shit, but it's enjoyable anyway.

There are very few cricket films but Wondrous Oblivian is decent. I couldn't sit through Lagaan.

Boxing - obv Raging Bull, followed by Cinderella Man. The Rocky films are fine apart from the boxing. When We Were Kings is fantastic is docs are allowed.

Viking

Baseball: Bull Durham (98%) with The Natural (82%) a close second
Rugby: Invictus (75%)
US Football: Rudy (84%)
Soccer: Bend it like Beckham (85%) (it is a sad state of affairs when the only good soccer movie is about girls soccer)
Ice Hockey: Miracle (80%) (don't usually give a shit about hockey, but for 90 minutes I did)

Best sports movie regardless of sport?

Chariots of Fire (87%)

(numbers are from rotten tomatos)
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.