Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

So did I.

And:

Veronica > Betty

HVC

cheryl beats all!

ugh, i feel old now lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Camerus

Heh, I must have had like 500 of them as a kid.  I couldn't stand superhero stuff, so they were the only comix I read.

The movie spoof is kind of funny, if only 'cause it illustrates how much that melodramatic dark teen angle has become a somewhat tired, and even unrealistic cliche - much like the real Archie comics' Americana family values cliche I am guessing it's parodying.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 22, 2012, 10:33:22 PM
So did I.

And:

Veronica > Betty

No kidding.  Isn't she rich, too?  I mean, Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on February 23, 2012, 02:32:30 AM
Heh, I must have had like 500 of them as a kid.  I couldn't stand superhero stuff, so they were the only comix I read.

The movie spoof is kind of funny, if only 'cause it illustrates how much that melodramatic dark teen angle has become a somewhat tired, and even unrealistic cliche - much like the real Archie comics' Americana family values cliche I am guessing it's parodying.
Yes. I re-watched heathers recently.
PDH!

Josquius

Its strange how well known this Archie thing seems to be in the US yet it is totally unknown in the UK. We only hear of it through references in sitcoms and the like.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

. . . and when VH-1 Classic plays "Sugar, Sugar".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2012, 07:57:14 AM
Its strange how well known this Archie thing seems to be in the US yet it is totally unknown in the UK. We only hear of it through references in sitcoms and the like.

Different cultures do different shit. SHOCKING.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

In America, they drive on the right.  In England, they drive on the left.  In Russia, they drive drunk.  In Greece, they don't drive, because their cars have been repossessed, as have the roads.  In Japan, cars are considered undesirable, because you cannot grope strangers in auto traffic, or at least not as much.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on February 23, 2012, 04:37:25 PM
  In Japan, cars are considered undesirable, because you cannot grope strangers in auto traffic, or at least not as much.
Well that and the omnipresent danger of being stepped on by rampaging Kaiju.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2012, 10:34:25 PM
cheryl beats all!

ugh, i feel old now lol

Deja vu, all over again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2012, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2012, 07:57:14 AM

Different cultures do different shit. SHOCKING.
Yet most super famous American comics are at least somewhat known in the UK.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

It's because Archie reflects more how America sees/saw itself than how the world sees us.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2012, 03:13:00 AM
Yet most super famous American comics are at least somewhat known in the UK.

Yeah, Archie never made it into much of an export commodity as opposed to DC/ Marvel/ Robert Crumb et. al.

Admiral Yi

Did DC and Marvel have much exposure overseas before they started cranking out the superhero movies?