Affirmative action in college admissions likely to be struck down by Supremes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2012, 01:36:48 PM
It's pretty scary, actually, to see how close of a mirror image these two maps are.  It has been 150 years, and the voting blocks are still pretty much the same, only their parties flip-flopped.

You cherry-picked one election year, albeit the most recent.  Looking at the maps for the previous several presidential elections, the "voting blocks" are a bit different, save for maybe New England and New York.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 01:39:53 PM
Don't tell that to Hansy;  the GOP of 2012 is still the same as the GOP of 1864.

Sure.  The Grand Ol' Party and the Gummy Ol' Party for the geezers with WMBs.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 22, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
It's pretty scary, actually, to see how close of a mirror image these two maps are.  It has been 150 years, and the voting blocks are still pretty much the same, only their parties flip-flopped.

You cherry-picked one election year, albeit the most recent.  Looking at the maps for the previous several presidential elections, the "voting blocks" are a bit different, save for maybe New England and New York.

It's not really cherry picking when you chose the last Presidential election.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM

And it's not like 2000 or 2004 looked all that much different.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM

Or the dates implied by the guy you're refuting.

Razgovory

I took a look at Presidential election results.  The one in 1964 is pretty interesting.  Several states that hadn't gone Republican since reconstruction (and one state that never went Republican), went Republican.  I wonder why.  It's almost as if the Republican Presidential candidate did something so wildly popular in the deep South, that they went against age old tradition.  I wonder what that something might have been...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

sbr

Hansmeister

Quote from: sbr on February 22, 2012, 07:53:44 PM
Didn't the Dems win almost every state in '64?

Raz doesn't know what he is talking about, of course.

Jimmy Carter swept every southern state but Virginia in '76.  What does that tell us?  Absolutely nothing.

The Democrats dominated the Southern delegation to Congress until '94, and the majority of southern state legislatures until 2010.

What has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 12:56:44 PM
If I were black or Hispanic, I wouldn't want to stop in Texas to use the restroom on my way through the state, let alone attend school.*

*Without a football scholarship, of course.  Then it's OK.

Black, white, whatever--what would be the point of attending college in Texas if you don't play football?

Razgovory

Yes.  Goldwater took only Arizona (his home state),  Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:37:59 PM

Raz doesn't know what he is talking about, of course.

Jimmy Carter swept every southern state but Virginia in '76.  What does that tell us?  Absolutely nothing.

The Democrats dominated the Southern delegation to Congress until '94, and the majority of southern state legislatures until 2010.

What has changed that all the yankee republicans have moved south, turning the south into a republican stronghold, while turning the north Democrat.

An alternate theory is that the Democratic machine in the South was very strong, and tended to be conservative to begin with.  The local Democratic parties had been clashing with the national party since the 1940's.  The people of the Southern states were supporting their local candidates who were segregationist while neglecting the national party that had become anti-segregationist.  After a failed experiment as their own national party under Wallace, they followed the lead of people like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond and found a happy place in the GOP.  Same people, same ideas, different party.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 22, 2012, 10:52:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 12:56:44 PM
If I were black or Hispanic, I wouldn't want to stop in Texas to use the restroom on my way through the state, let alone attend school.*

*Without a football scholarship, of course.  Then it's OK.

Black, white, whatever--what would be the point of attending college in Texas if you don't play football?

Actually you changed his statement. I'd go with:

Black, white, whatever --what would be the point of ever being in Texas?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 11:25:09 PM
An alternate theory is that the Democratic machine in the South was very strong, and tended to be conservative to begin with.  The local Democratic parties had been clashing with the national party since the 1940's.  The people of the Southern states were supporting their local candidates who were segregationist while neglecting the national party that had become anti-segregationist.  After a failed experiment as their own national party under Wallace, they followed the lead of people like Jesse Helms and Strom Thurmond and found a happy place in the GOP.  Same people, same ideas, different party.

How can you suggest that all the same people were in place in the 40s and the 60s? That's just doesn't stand up to basic reason.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2012, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: Fate on February 22, 2012, 12:58:57 PM
Sure. Also being born into a upper middle class suburban neighborhood is not evenly distributed or being a child of a doctor (which a good chunk of the class always is) is not evenly distributed.

That's an argument for socioeconomic AA, not ethnic AA.

Maybe although I'm not sure. I'm not sure that historically being white and poor but you at the same disadvantage of being black and poor.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2012, 12:06:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2012, 11:25:09 PM

How can you suggest that all the same people were in place in the 40s and the 60s? That's just doesn't stand up to basic reason.

I didn't say all the people.  Some of them died.  But you know guys like Strom Thurmond lasted for nearly a century.