News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The man who hears colour

Started by Richard Hakluyt, February 16, 2012, 03:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I thought this was a very interesting story, a pity there are no pics of his work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681630

I see the cops attacked him, at a guess that would be the Metropolitan police  :mad:

11B4V

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 16, 2012, 03:19:30 AM

I see the cops attacked him, at a guess that would be the Metropolitan police  :mad:

:huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Incredible story.

A friend of mine has synaesthesia which is different, for her sounds have colours.  Apparently my name is LIKE A PARROT flying across the sky :)
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

had an autistic friend/roommate who had a few forms of synethesia. she saw colors in her mind's eye when she heard music/chords; whenever she heard words, she saw them "like ticker-tape;" and, imo, most amusingly whenever she saw someone do something, she felt as if she experienced it: someone getting hit = she felt she got hit, someone eating, etc. etc. yes, even sex. and yes, not just in person but also from watching a movie/show. (edit) oh, and seeing colors also produced sounds. different colors provided different sounds. bright, firetruck red meant hearing a kitten scream in agony  :)

..and now that i click the link, i realize this thread is about interesting technological wonders, not synesthesia. damn you, sheilbh  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 16, 2012, 03:19:30 AM
I thought this was a very interesting story, a pity there are no pics of his work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681630

Interesting-- when I started reading the article I assumed his contraption just said the name of the color over & over, which I think would drive you mad pretty quickly. 

But I guess if you're both color-blind and tone-deaf you're screwed :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall