News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stem cells heal heart attack scars

Started by jimmy olsen, February 14, 2012, 10:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on February 15, 2012, 12:11:36 PM
The actual article in the Lancet is a bit less promising - "...however, changes in end-diastolic volume, end-systolic volume, and LVEF did not differ between groups by 6 months."

A key figure in the measurement of outcomes in these patients is LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction). Essentially it's an approximation of how efficient your heart is at sending blood to the body.

It's a cool experiment, but right now all these patients have is a thicker heart with no increase in functionality. Hopefully they show improved or less decline in LVEF relative to the controls in the future.

You're becoming a doctor or something right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 15, 2012, 12:35:22 PM
Immunization against the five-finger palm of death? :o

Immunization is aiming kind of high.  Let's wait for the test results.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2012, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: Fate on February 15, 2012, 12:11:36 PM
The actual article in the Lancet is a bit less promising - "...however, changes in end-diastolic volume, end-systolic volume, and LVEF did not differ between groups by 6 months."

A key figure in the measurement of outcomes in these patients is LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction). Essentially it's an approximation of how efficient your heart is at sending blood to the body.

It's a cool experiment, but right now all these patients have is a thicker heart with no increase in functionality. Hopefully they show improved or less decline in LVEF relative to the controls in the future.

You're becoming a doctor or something right?

I'll be a radiologist in 9 years. It's a MD, but I doubt many lay people think they're actually doctors.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017