External Hard Drive Question

Started by alfred russel, February 18, 2012, 10:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I think I need to get an external hard drive--mainly for storing pictures, but also as a backup for some financial documents. Is there anything I need to be considering besides the capacity and the size of the physical device? Does anyone have recommendations?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

they come with USB or eSATA interface.  eSATA is obviously faster, if your motherboard and case support it, but it's also pricier.

USB should be ok for what you do, but just make sure to get a USB 3.0 one, even if your current computer is not USB 3.0, in your next upgrade, you might appreciate it.

I have a Western Digital, an older USB 2.0 model, and I quite like it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Reliability.  WD is OK these days.  Viper said the rest.
PDH!

alfred russel

Purchased! A WD that is USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatible.

Thanks Wags and Viper.

Tonitrus

As far a reliability goes, for myself at least, I use two externals as a backup with duplicate info.  I'm betting they won't both die at the same time.  :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 21, 2012, 03:17:32 AM
As far a reliability goes, for myself at least, I use two externals as a backup with duplicate info.  I'm betting they won't both die at the same time.  :P

:lol: Dude, if you're running dual mirrors, you'd probably have saved a bit of money by running a RAID 1 array on three internal drives.
Experience bij!