Dozens Molested at LA Elementary School

Started by jimmy olsen, February 07, 2012, 06:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 12:11:04 PMIt's possible your spouse could hide it from you, but that generally requires wanting not to see.

which happens frequently enough (among molestation at home situations, not in general..). i mean, consider all those cases where one parent molests the children, and the other is shocked when they find out the truth. it's easily not the 100% phil threw out, and not worthy of an italicized "possible," imo

anyway, re: thread- i love how they dismissed the whole staff. we must purge this place to its very core. is it because the superintendent doesn't understand pedophilia, or did he really think this would appease the parents?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 01:06:21 PM
which happens frequently enough (among molestation at home situations, not in general..). i mean, consider all those cases where one parent molests the children, and the other is shocked when they find out the truth. it's easily not the 100% phil threw out, and not worthy of an italicized "possible," imo

Not nearly as frequently as cases where the other acts shocked but really should have known, I'd wager.

At any rate, a parent who's going to molest his or her child will do it whether the kid is homeschooled or not. So it doesn't make much sense to compare the rates, the risk of the teacher molesting them is all extra. Not that I think that risk is significant enough that I would pull my own kids out of school.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 10, 2012, 01:35:04 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 01:06:21 PM

Not nearly as frequently as cases where the other acts shocked but really should have known, I'd wager.

At any rate, a parent who's going to molest his or her child will do it whether the kid is homeschooled or not. So it doesn't make much sense to compare the rates, the risk of the teacher molesting them is all extra. Not that I think that risk is significant enough that I would pull my own kids out of school.

oh, indeed. i included the "really should have known" with what i said. the subconscious catches way more than we often realize. kids act funny, body language of abuser/victim, etc

i don't really have a bone to pick in this argument over whether to homeschool or not, except to say that garbon/marty are right in regard to the "homeschooled kids are weird." it's natural, more often than not they will not have smart parents who know how to offset the disadvantages to it, and so they become strange people with little social skills

and yes, of course it is absolutely ridiculous to fear that one's child might be molested by a teacher if they put them in a public/private school. shit just happens. plane crashes, drunk driver kills your whole family, daughter is raped at a party.. etc.

DGuller

Statistically, a child that isn't molested at home is much more likely to be molested by outsiders if he is molested.

Habbaku

Every home-schooled person I've met has been perfectly normal.  I suspect Martinass' experience is just that he's meeting home-schooled Polacks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2012, 12:24:26 PM
You can ask the question after the fact to make the statement relevant?

No clue what you're trying to say.

No what had asked the question that you just asked...so I don't see how Philip's response to Marti made any sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.