Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2012, 08:00:55 PM
What do you find to get your panties in a wad about?

Grumbler doesn't get panties in a wad.  He takes them.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2012, 07:37:52 PM
For the record, I wasnt personally offended either, except by sheer stupidity.

Again, they are Marines. They are the military people who are *supposed* to actually be as dim as you think all military people to be... :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

We are living in a Golden Age of sensitivity.

I'm rather bored with it myself.........."US MARINES ARE NOT VERY SENSITIVE SHOCK! HORROR!"..................meh   :glare:

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 11, 2012, 08:58:13 PM
We are living in a Golden Age of sensitivity.

I'm rather bored with it myself.........."US MARINES ARE NOT VERY SENSITIVE SHOCK! HORROR!"..................meh   :glare:

That's not even the issue.  The fact is that the Marine Scout Snipers have used this image for years, without anyone (including them) thinking they were using Nazi symbology (mostly because they are very, very low-key, and until the development of social media no one outside the fraternity even knew that there was a unit known as the "SS").

They also use the "Death's Head" (with a bullet hole in the forehead) - and sometimes, the skull is used with crossed bones, so they are insensitive enough to support pirates!  :pirate
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2012, 08:52:14 PM
Again, they are Marines. They are the military people who are *supposed* to actually be as dim as you think all military people to be... :P

They are naval personnel, and not "military" at all.

Naval:  Navy and Marine Corps
Military:  Army (and, sorta, Air Force)

No marines normally come from the United States Military Academy at West Point.

(Just bustin' yer chops, of course, except that an actual Marine objects to "military" like he does "soldier" - Marines are weird that way)

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2012, 08:52:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2012, 07:37:52 PM
For the record, I wasnt personally offended either, except by sheer stupidity.

Sure. However, the whole argument here started when you came into the thread and announced that this looks nothing like the SS logo and people are seeing things that are not there.  :P

It never was about "OMG this is so offensive!!!!!" for most (all?) people who posted - it was about this being stupid.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: dps on February 10, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
They aren't soldiers.  They're Marines.
Marines aren't soldiers?

Not according to them, they are Marines.  See what grumbler said above about them not even being 'military'.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2012, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: dps on February 10, 2012, 01:04:46 AM
They aren't soldiers.  They're Marines.
Marines aren't soldiers?
They are Marines.  I understand you could start a bar fight by calling them soldiers. 
PDH!

Syt

Then call them sailors instead. Like, "Hellooooo, Sailor!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
They are just guys that made a flag using symbology that they have seen other scout sniper units use in the past.

you're an asset, grumbler. did not know that other ss units (:P) had used it in the past

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 10:02:20 PM
and until the development of social media no one outside the fraternity even knew that there was a unit known as the "SS").

What, nobody read or saw Jarhead?

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 10:06:11 PM
(Just bustin' yer chops, of course, except that an actual Marine objects to "military" like he does "soldier" - Marines are weird that way)

Well, not just that way.