Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: LaCroix on February 10, 2012, 02:26:53 PM
excepting some little places in india, and the pdhs of the world, no, the swastika is not a hindu symbol, it is a symbol of nazism

Wait, what now?  Do you understand the phrase "cuturally defined" at all?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2012, 03:59:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 03:54:52 PM
the 27th SS Langemarck Division.

I think I kicked their ass in that WITE game.  :)

lol.

27th SS Langemarck Division.

and not to be confused with
SS Nordland

Which SS-Nordland Division evloved from the Nordland Regimant from SS-Wiking Division who's symbol is
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on February 10, 2012, 03:54:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 03:37:26 PM

Uhh no, my entire point is that this isn't really worth getting wound up about at all.

Well, you missed your own point then! :lol:  You are the one ranting and raving.

No, I am the one saying I am not offended by the picture. You are the only one trying to make this into something personal.

This has been mostly a case of "Who do you believe, your lying eyes or honest Berkut?".  When most of us look at the damn thing, it looks like a pair of Sieg Runes as used by the SS.

So? What does that have to do with whether you should be offended by it?

When I see someone wearing a cruscifix, it looks a lot like the crosses that the KKK burns on people lawns - does that mean I should be offended?

Just because it looks like a SS symbol does not mean it IS an SS symbol, nor does it mean you should be offended by it until you figure out what the person using it intends it to mean. Why is that so hard to understand?
  You are treating it as some sort of attack on the military by some coalition of Marty and the "emotards".  I don't know why these guys put them there.

There are two possible answers, one legit and the other not.

The answer put forth by those who insist they need to be offended is that they put it there as some kind of homage to the SS.

Of course, the reality is you do know why they put it there, the article in question states it very clearly - because it stands for "Scout Sniper". You don't have to guess why they put it there - they told you why. You just choose not to believe them because you want to be offended.

Maybe they'll tell us in the future.

They already told you.

QuoteMaster Gunnery Sgt. Mark Oliva, a spokesman at Camp Pendleton, Calif., said the photo was brought to the attention of the 1 Marine Expeditionary Force inspector general in November, and he found there was no intent on the part of the Marines to identify themselves with a racist organization.

Oliva said the investigation found that the SS symbol was meant to identify the Marines as scout snipers, not Nazis

I suspect this little fact won't cause you to change your mind though.

My guess is that's the same reason the people like Sid Vicious wore a T Shirt with a Swastika on it:  To look hardcore.  Militaries everywhere have done that.  Taboo symbols, symbols of death, things like that.  Why?  To give the message of "Don't fuck with us".  Even if the enemy doesn't recognize it (see the ace of spades in Vietnam).

So the military wanting to look hardcore is a reason to get offended?

I rest my case that you and others are just looking for something to be offended by then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 03:08:28 PM
That is true today, so far as I know. I've never seen a swastika used in contemporary society except as a symbol to represent Nazism. Like I said though - I could be wrong, and you could convince me otherwise, although it would be tough to do so, since it is such a well known symbol with little use outside its nazi reference.

I went into one of the residence at the U of Manitoba one day when I was in school and was initially shocked when I noticed there was a recurring swastika in the tiling on the floor.

Of course after a moment I realized the building dated to the 20s and the swastika was the opposite direction of Hitler's.

So there's a swastika that continues to be used in contemporary society.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 04:04:16 PM
and not to be confused with
SS Nordland

This picture made me wonder: how did Germany manage to sustain hair gel production through the blockade and bombing?

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2012, 04:06:02 PM
That is true today, so far as I know. I've never seen a swastika used in contemporary society except as a symbol to represent Nazism. Like I said though - I could be wrong, and you could convince me otherwise, although it would be tough to do so, since it is such a well known symbol with little use outside its nazi reference.

I went into one of the residence at the U of Manitoba one day when I was in school and was initially shocked when I noticed there was a recurring swastika in the tiling on the floor.

Of course after a moment I realized the building dated to the 20s and the swastika was the opposite direction of Hitler's.

Sounds like a remnant from pre-nazi society, doesn't it?

In any case, you can easily convince me in that case that nobody was glorifying the Nazis.

Of course, Raz and Marty would insist that it doesn't matter what anyone intended, you should be offended by it anyway, and perhaps insist that the U of Manitoba do something about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2012, 04:07:45 PM

This picture made me wonder: how did Germany manage to sustain hair gel production through the blockade and bombing?

Made from miracle ingredient Judeulin.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Why do you think the tanks ran out of gas?  Too much petroleum hair jelly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 04:08:59 PM

In any case, you can easily convince me in that case that nobody was glorifying the Nazis.

Of course, Raz and Marty would insist that it doesn't matter what anyone intended, you should be offended by it anyway, and perhaps insist that the U of Manitoba do something about it.

Well of course it was.  And of course nobody was glorifying the nazis.

I am still astounded however that in the hyper-politically correct environment of a modern university, somebody hadn't gotten all offended and forced them to rip up that very nice tile floor! :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 04:02:06 PMWait, what now?  Do you understand the phrase "cuturally defined" at all?
don't worry. i didn't throw your name out for anything you've said in this thread. i said it because it is synonymous with "academic." i meant no offense :P

to answer your question: i can understand the phrase culturally defined, yes

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on February 10, 2012, 04:20:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 04:08:59 PM

Well of course it was.  And of course nobody was glorifying the nazis.

I am still astounded however that in the hyper-politically correct environment of a modern university, somebody hadn't gotten all offended and forced them to rip up that very nice tile floor! :lol:

Is it historically protected or something?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 04:05:52 PM

I rest my case that you and others are just looking for something to be offended by then.

How many times do I have to say I'm not offended?  It's my fault really.  I have a talent for pushing peoples buttons and I shouldn't have used the  word "Tribal".  I knew it would set you off, but I thought some kind of common sense would breakthrough that skull of yours.  I don't know where you get the idea that I claimed it was done to "Honor" the SS.  You need to get a grip.  Jesus, Christ.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.