Liquid cooling: any drawbacks?

Started by viper37, February 10, 2012, 01:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I have to upgrade my gaming computer this spring.  It's been two years since the last major upgrade.  Since then, 2 fans have failed, one I can't replace (memory), and one I need to import from the US for twice the cost (big case fan, will cost 100$ once here).  I'm really getting tired of this shit.  Plus the occasional noise.

So, I'm thinking of going liquid this time.  The case costs much more $$, but I figure I don't have to replace fans every year, I'd make for it in the long run. 

Obviously, I want to overclock.  And have enough space to use 2 graphic cards, ideally.

What do I need to know?  Any pitfalls I should avoid?  Are there different cooling system out there?  Will it be near-silent or will it be as noisy as a traditional fan case?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Water cooling still uses fans.

It is probably going to be noiser then a traditional modern fan system.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Liquid cooling was all the rage like 5-6 years ago but I hear less about it these days. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I thought about it for my current machine, but it was a lot of extra money and I don't overclock. 
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2012, 08:45:26 AM
Liquid cooling was all the rage like 5-6 years ago but I hear less about it these days. :hmm:
Yeah, I hear less&less, but I was tired of all the fans.  But if I can't live without 'em, fuck it, I'll keep my case.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 12, 2012, 11:02:45 AM
Yeah, I hear less&less, but I was tired of all the fans.  But if I can't live without 'em, fuck it, I'll keep my case.

Dig around on the internet - if you're more or less doing a complete system re-build there are lots of ways to build a very quiet machine.  The biggest key is good air flow and large, slow-moving fans.

Heck I think mono had a thread where we talked about exactly that.

From what I understand watercooling is fairly loud in terms of decibels, but because it is a different kind of sound you may find it more agreeable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Yeah I now use liquid cooling, quiet case and SSD drive.  The noise level has gone down dramatically.  There is still noise, but I can accept it. 

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 12, 2012, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 12, 2012, 11:02:45 AM

Dig around on the internet - if you're more or less doing a complete system re-build there are lots of ways to build a very quiet machine.  The biggest key is good air flow and large, slow-moving fans.

Heck I think mono had a thread where we talked about exactly that.

From what I understand watercooling is fairly loud in terms of decibels, but because it is a different kind of sound you may find it more agreeable.
My computer is quiet... so long as all the fans are working. Eventually, after a year, somewhere, there's a fan that stops working.  Well, it doesn't stop, it becomes loud.  Very loud.  And so, I have to replace it.  A 20$ fan is ok.  The video cards fans are ok, too. 
A unique ram-fan taylored to the brand of memory I bought is impossible to replace.  That unique case fan is costly to replace as I have to order it from the US.

This is why I wanted to go with cooling, to avoid the hassle of replacing some fan every year.
But, if I have to still use fans in the case... well, it's not worth it.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 15, 2012, 10:47:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_Ui8H4dRs

Run-down of the actual WC setup process.

Huh.  I have zero idea how water cooling works or what it looks like.  I just paid someone and said that I wanted water cooling inside the box.   He said it has been done  :ph34r: