News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[AAR] No Retreat - Berkut vs. Tamas

Started by Tamas, December 30, 2011, 07:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on January 22, 2012, 09:27:24 AM
I think a lot of designers get so wrapped up in the mechanics that they fail to keep their eye on the ball, which is interesting decisions

I am actually surprised how many game players don't even seem to understand that. They buy based on how cool it looks, not how good of a game it is...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

TURN 15 CONTINUED

Major Soviet victory near Rostov! The city has been liberated, the 11th German army shattered, the 3rd Panzer Corps destroyed, as the Soviets swept aside the SS Panzer unit which initiated a Counterblow attempt on the northern flank of that sector, the shock assault shattered the 11th army defending Rostov, then the employment of Wave Attacks allowed all these units to converge on the 3rd Panzer from all directions, with no route to retreat.

All is not fine however, the German panzer concentration north of Kharkov initiated a Counterblow which in turn resulted in a CB itself, in a trick situation open to German exploit next turn.
Luckily however, one of the two panzer units there is the 2nd Panzer, which will be removed to the Western Front for good at the start of next turn.

Also, forecasts already indicated snow weather for Turn 16 instead of the previously expected mud. We of course had unexpected mud this turn, so it's fitting. But winter, if it stays that way, means 3 things:
-the germans can more easily plug the southern hole, their movement will not be so restricted
-the soviets can exploit the southern hole, their movement will not be so restricted
-two-hex advance open in snow, and the tricky situation at Kharkov mean that still both sides can deliver major punches, altough clearly it would be more risky for the Germans to attempt so, what's with their reduced efficiency in the cold and all.

Berkut

Pfft, the German army has zero offensive capability at this point. They cannot achieve even a 3-1 odds attack anywhere without crippling themselves. Once they are upgraded, every Soviet unit is considerably stronger (sometimes 3 times the strength) of most German units.

I think I understand what the designer is trying to do with this - it's not that unit for unit they are trying to show that the Soviets are twice as strong as the Germans, but that they want to keep counter density down, so upgraded Soviet units represent MORE units, really. However, that makes it nearly impossible for the German army to counter attack, since there won't be any "vulnerable" Soviet units, even if they over-extend a little bit.

Combined with Soviet super "armor" (Shock units that get the armor shift that the Germans only get in perfect weather and clear terrain in any and all circumstances), and the Soviet army in 1943 is significantly superior in both quantity and quality to the Germans.

It's kind of funny, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten an armor shift against the Soviets. The Soviets can get the shock shift anywhere and everywhere.

0 rows returned

Tamas

TURN 16 NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 1943

Last turn southern breakthrough is proving to be decisive, at least on the short term. The German forces conducted a retreat all over the front, even abandoning mighty Leningrad.

The Soviets were quick to catch up and launch various offensives, including an attempt to tackle the Kharkov fortifications head-on:

I would note that I cannot stack, so I can only amass reasonable odds at hexes where hex sides allow for it, making my offensives quite predictable I think.

As for the game situation, I have 16VPs, altough this is something we might have to doublecheck. But, the Axis High Tide marker is at 23, and there will be two VP-increasing event for me in '44. That means, I still have 5VPs (5 cities) to capture before 1944 runs out.

Berkut

Now you guys know the situation better than I do, since Tamas didn't bother sending a game file...

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
Now you guys know the situation better than I do, since Tamas didn't bother sending a game file...

:lol: Sorry I thought I did.

They don't know everything, I forgot to mention that I played Western Offensive to have you discard two cards of your choice. :P

Razgovory

What are the Soviet Units that look like a combination of Artillery and Infantry?  Like that chap 3 hexes west of Moscow with the "8-2" score?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on January 25, 2012, 12:34:55 PM
What are the Soviet Units that look like a combination of Artillery and Infantry?  Like that chap 3 hexes west of Moscow with the "8-2" score?

shock armies

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Are you guys going to replay, taking opposite sides after this?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 26, 2012, 07:33:30 PM
Are you guys going to replay, taking opposite sides after this?

I would like to see that.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Tamas

I haven't given up on this yet, just waiting for Berkut to be available for real-time battle resolutions