And we're back!

Main Menu

In God We Must

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, February 05, 2012, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 09, 2012, 01:25:31 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 08, 2012, 02:00:54 PM
It seems the best would be to have a whole mess of mothers and fathers then, maybe kids raised by 10-20 people.

iirc there are, or were, certain tribes where this happened after a fashion.

Hawaiian kinship, for one.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2012, 09:34:07 AM
Assuming the study I cited has any validity, two gay parents would be - on average - better candidates for adoption than a straight single parent.

In theory, I agree and I would be more willing to ban single parents from adopting that to ban gay couples from adopting.

In practice, I wouldn't ban either, because children who are wards of the state seem to be worse off on average than children in all but the worst homes, and there aren't enough people willing to adopt to fill the need.  (Actually, IIRC that's not exactly right--there are people who want to adopt who can't, but the problem is that many people who want to adopt want an infant or toddler, and few want the older children in the system, and very few want to take on troubled children--which many of those in the system are).

crazy canuck

Another anecdotal story for you all.  I know two well off couples who adopted troubled kids in their early teens after their own kids were off on their own.  In both cases things worked out remarkably well and the adopted kids have actually done better academically then the others.

It wasnt easy and in both cases their was definitely some tough love involved - especially early on (no Seedy not in the way you are thinking) but, as I say, those kids turned out very well.

rufweed

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2012, 09:16:39 AM
Quote from: rufweed on February 09, 2012, 05:23:40 AM
How did you come to that conclusion?

I don't know.  How does one generally come to the conclusion that a point of view is not conclusively bullshit?  Sniff test?  Lack of strong evidence to the contrary?

Fail.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2012, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 08, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
You asked "What some Athiests have done", not what Dawkins has done. :contract:  I think it's fair to say that Mexico's anti-religious campaign was an act by atheists motivated by atheism, and it resulted in thousands of deaths.

That's a pretty bad anti-atheist argument.  It isn't too hard to think up of relgious campaigns that take death tolls well over "thousands"
Particularly when the people killing priests are not, in fact, atheists.  The Mexican episcopate generally supported the government.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I thought the killings of priests in South America was largely about right winger (catholic) governments and juntas taking out liberation theology aficionados? Which incidentally is the third sin on Karol Wojtyla's head (after the pedophilia cover ups and AIDS epidemic in Africa).

LaCroix

imo, the "lol spaghetti monster!11, fuck ur religion" type atheists are akin to book burning christians, and i'm saying this as an atheist

edit: some of the worst atheists i've known were those born into it, as in their parents were atheists and so they were indoctrinated into atheism. i think the self-discovery of rejecting religion is important and encourages humility. otherwise it is treated as a religion, and they attack others for their beliefs

The Brain

Quote from: LaCroix on February 12, 2012, 09:22:51 AM
edit: some of the worst atheists i've known were those born into it, as in their parents were atheists and so they were indoctrinated into atheism. i think the self-discovery of rejecting religion is important and encourages humility. otherwise it is treated as a religion, and they attack others for their beliefs

It's important to believe in Santa Fairy? OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

santa clause was never a world view

edit: santa claus  :D

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 12, 2012, 03:52:17 AM
I thought the killings of priests in South America was largely about right winger (catholic) governments and juntas taking out liberation theology aficionados? Which incidentally is the third sin on Karol Wojtyla's head (after the pedophilia cover ups and AIDS epidemic in Africa).

Aids in Africa?  Was he personally going down there fucking people?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 09:04:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2012, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 08, 2012, 01:36:32 PM
You asked "What some Athiests have done", not what Dawkins has done. :contract:  I think it's fair to say that Mexico's anti-religious campaign was an act by atheists motivated by atheism, and it resulted in thousands of deaths.

That's a pretty bad anti-atheist argument.  It isn't too hard to think up of relgious campaigns that take death tolls well over "thousands"
Particularly when the people killing priests are not, in fact, atheists.  The Mexican episcopate generally supported the government.

They supported their own murders and confiscation of property?  Is this kinda like how the Soviet Government got "Confessions" from people?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: dps on February 09, 2012, 05:33:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 09, 2012, 09:34:07 AM
Assuming the study I cited has any validity, two gay parents would be - on average - better candidates for adoption than a straight single parent.

In theory, I agree and I would be more willing to ban single parents from adopting that to ban gay couples from adopting.

In practice, I wouldn't ban either, because children who are wards of the state seem to be worse off on average than children in all but the worst homes, and there aren't enough people willing to adopt to fill the need.  (Actually, IIRC that's not exactly right--there are people who want to adopt who can't, but the problem is that many people who want to adopt want an infant or toddler, and few want the older children in the system, and very few want to take on troubled children--which many of those in the system are).

There is also the matter of the enormous fees needed to adopt.  The only kids that are affordable are often so damaged the average family couldn't deal.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2012, 10:04:00 AM

HIV was developed by a joint CIA/Vatican project. :pope:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

No, he's blaming the Pope for frowning on contraception.  Really, the blame belongs to the gays who incubated the disease for so long.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2012, 02:48:38 PM
No, he's blaming the Pope for frowning on contraception.  Really, the blame belongs to the gays who incubated the disease for so long.

I didn't know the Pope had a lot of pull with non-Catholics.  I thought the worst places for the epidemic were Southern Africa.  I didn't know the Brits were converting those people to Catholicism.  Anyway, it's "Sin" the wrong word?  Marty doesn't even believe in sins.