News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civ 4 Problem

Started by jimmy olsen, February 05, 2012, 08:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I just installed it on my new computer and it said my stats were below what's required and automatically set graphics to the lowest possible.  :mad:

This is of course ridiculous. Why would it say that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

What kind of computer? Laptop? nvidia card? If yes, then you may have to force the game to use the nvidia card instead of the integrated card.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2012, 08:04:03 AM
What kind of computer? Laptop? nvidia card? If yes, then you may have to force the game to use the nvidia card instead of the integrated card.
Nvdia 560M

How do I force it?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Go into the nVidia control center, there's an option to set the preference by program. You can google for guides on how to do that.

If you have a laptop with Optimus drivers (i.e. system supposedly knows when to use the nVidia and when not) - be prepared to do that a lot. And that the nwer Total War games probably won't recognize your graphics card even then (there's some plucking around with the drivers itself to make Total War understand them).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2012, 10:06:12 AM
Go into the nVidia control center, there's an option to set the preference by program. You can google for guides on how to do that.

If you have a laptop with Optimus drivers (i.e. system supposedly knows when to use the nVidia and when not) - be prepared to do that a lot. And that the nwer Total War games probably won't recognize your graphics card even then (there's some plucking around with the drivers itself to make Total War understand them).
Done a bit of searching at work and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I know how to open the center, and the set by preference function. However trying to add Civ 4 just opens up a folder with a bunch of subfolders, not sure what to do then.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Make sure you're in advanced mode. On the left you have some items. You go to "3d settings" or whatever it's called in English. You should have two tabs - global and application settings. In the application settings you have an "add" button. You navigate to the .exe, select it and then set it to always use the nvidia card. If this doesn't help, add the launcher .exe too.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 06, 2012, 12:03:39 AM
Make sure you're in advanced mode. On the left you have some items. You go to "3d settings" or whatever it's called in English. You should have two tabs - global and application settings. In the application settings you have an "add" button. You navigate to the .exe, select it and then set it to always use the nvidia card. If this doesn't help, add the launcher .exe too.

EDIT: Never mind

Figured it out, thanks.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

So, did it fix the problem?
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 06, 2012, 05:18:28 AM
So, did it fix the problem?
Wasn't sure what to set all those individual things at so I just turned them all up high. The games working and looks good, so I must have done good.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

By the way, I was wondering if there's a Peloponnesian War mod for Civ 4? I can't think of conflict that would be better adapted for the game than that one.

1 Karma Chameleon point