Right Wingers are Morons, Canadian study shows.

Started by Josephus, February 04, 2012, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 04, 2012, 02:39:56 PM
Did Josephus write that article or are you referring to something else?

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what your point is.
Nowhere in that article were right-winger and bigot used interchangeably.

It's possible that you were not referring to the article, in which case I misunderstood.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2012, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2012, 02:51:13 PM
I thought it was a clever use of language, and even if I doubt the sets overlap sufficiently to be truly inclusive of one another, the meaning was conveyed, and that's what's important.

Yeah a great way of looking petulant and childish.

You know, as a minority fag you've never really explained why you politically support people who would hate you if they knew you.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 04, 2012, 03:28:24 PM
Nowhere in that article were right-winger and bigot used interchangeably.

It's possible that you were not referring to the article, in which case I misunderstood.

There's room for debate.  The article seems to be defining right-winger as someone who doesn't like to work with or live close to minorities, is tough on crime, and thinks schools should teach children to obey.  To me that sounds closer to a definition of bigot than of right-winger (which granted, bigots--at least white bigots--are usually a subset).

Josephus

Quote from: Ancient Demon on February 04, 2012, 12:59:39 PM
I'm not convinced that racism and homophobia are exclusively right-wing views.

You must have not made it to the last line. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2012, 03:41:49 PM
There's room for debate.  The article seems to be defining right-winger as someone who (1)doesn't like to work with or live close to minorities, (2)is tough on crime, and (3)thinks schools should teach children to obey.
It seems to me that it is defining right-winger as (2) and (3) and claiming a co-relation with (1). I'm not convinced this is a good definition or right-wingedness, but I wouldn't call it the definition of bigotry either. TBH (2) and (3) seem like non-issues, especially (3). Maybe they are issues in Britain.
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2012, 03:41:49 PM
To me that sounds closer to a definition of bigot than of right-winger (which granted, bigots--at least white bigots--are usually a subset).
No contest

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on February 04, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
It seems to me that it is defining right-winger as (2) and (3) and claiming a co-relation with (1).

I thought they were defining right-winger as 1,2, and 3 and claiming a corelation with stupidity.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2012, 03:36:50 PM
I thought it was a clever use of language, and even if I doubt the sets overlap sufficiently to be truly inclusive of one another, the meaning was conveyed, and that's what's important.

You know, as a minority fag you've never really explained why you politically support people who would hate you if they knew you.

Actually I have but then you've never bothered to listen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2012, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 04, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
It seems to me that it is defining right-winger as (2) and (3) and claiming a co-relation with (1).

I thought they were defining right-winger as 1,2, and 3 and claiming a corelation with stupidity.
I guess it could be interpreted either way in this article. I read about this study a week or so ago in a different article and got a different impression. I'll see if I can find it.

Neil

Same goes for you, cop.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2012, 11:13:29 AM
See, I don't buy that.  The most intelligent person I know is a right-winger, and the same holds true for all of you.

Of course you don't buy that.  If you were smarter, you'd realize it.  That's part of the problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

He's the Roy Cohn of the 21st century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2012, 04:18:46 PM

Same goes for you, cop.

I never tell black people about my past.  That way, I am embraced by them and travel amongst them all sneaky-like.