And we're back!

Main Menu

PC Games List 2012

Started by Habbaku, January 04, 2012, 03:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 05, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2012, 03:30:23 PM
I can tweet ( I don't of course), so I don't think that's a good metric to see if a developer is still in business.  It is possible that a developer can come back after closing.  Look at Interplay, they have some sort of half-life going on.  It's been in a state between life and death for years now.  Some weird undead developer that has published a few cheap indie games.

Why would they say they're continuing to develop Stalker 2 if they're out of business?  Why would they continue to say any of the shit they're saying there if they were out of business?  I don't really care one way or the other, since I highly doubt I'll be buying Stalker 2 unless it's a whim purchase from a bargain bin and all that, but they really appear to still be in business.

Who knows why they would do such a thing?  They may be trying to attract an investor to resurrect them.  Perhaps it's a scam.  Maybe they are self-deluded.  Why do Russians do anything?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2012, 03:33:02 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 02:03:10 PM
Well it's just one game and there is still some more development time to go . . .

Compared to some of the stuff I would see in CK those results are not too absurd

The Mongol English county is kind of funny but not a huge deal.  I would expect a see a few anomolies like that in a 3 century game with the kind of complex relational mechanics that CK2 has.

the migrating eastern european countries I assume is simply the after-effect of an usually strong Mongol invasion, and the latter is a random factor (they have said the strength of the horde invastions will vary between less than historical to more than historical).  I dont have a beef what that either

The fact that not one but two Scandi kingdoms have large territories in Central Europe/Balkans is a little concerning.  I can see how something like that might happen rarely but two in the same game raises eyebrows.

Al-Andalus crossing the Rhine simply shouldn't happen.  There should be a mechanic for a massive crusade once the Muslims cross the Pyrenees where all the AI Christian nations declare war.

All that said I will probably bite and buy on release which ordinarily I never do (the last time I did it in the past 4 years was with Vic2  :( )
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 05:20:06 PM
Al-Andalus crossing the Rhine simply shouldn't happen.  There should be a mechanic for a massive crusade once the Muslims cross the Pyrenees where all the AI Christian nations declare war.

This is what kills the immersion for me the most.  Random, Muslim counties/duchies popping up in far-off Christian lands where they are surrounded by their anti-religionists should invoke a crushing response to drive them out.  It seems like it would be a very simple thing to have England crush a Muslim county in its realm territory, for example.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2012, 02:03:10 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 04, 2012, 07:34:25 PM
I'm guiltily looking forward to CK2; I have always loved the concept behind CK and as long as it isn't 100% broken on launch day I'll be happy. Hell, I'll be happy if v. 1.0 doesn't have Mongol hordes in England by 1250.

They released a screenshot from a hand's off game from just before Christmas.  By the end of the campaign (1420s), "Al-Andalus" occupied most of modern day France and Spain, plus Savoy, Piedmont and chunks of Switzerland.  Denmark took over England (from other AARs this appears to be a common result) - except for a slice of territory around Norwich controlled by the . . .  Golden Horde.  :) Sweden had fragmented in Scandavia but carved out a nice block of territory around the area of modern Slovakia.  Poland migrated north and east and came to rest in the area around St. Petersburg.  To the thrill of Byzanteens everywhere, the Empire was very much alive and kicking and (in defiance of the otherwise dominant Mongol hordes) had expanded deep into the Caucasus, all the way north to within striking distance  of Moscow and east into modern Kazakhstan.  Apparently in response, Rus (still in existence) had picked up and moved east to come to rest just south of Omsk.

Well it's just one game and there is still some more development time to go . . .

Damn, that was one of the things I really hated about the first one; the way you could conquer most of France yet the King of France remained so due to controlling Malta and you had just too little of the country to usurp.
I was hoping this time around they could seperate titles and people so that people had titles, titles didn't have people- i.e. you can be duke in one country under a king yet king in your own right elsewhere.
Sweden just has no right being in the Balkans. If the king of Sweden aquires some land in Northern Germany then maybe yes, that can change status to become part of Sweden proper. But if he inherits the throne of Croatia? It just makes no sense that would suddenly become Sweden. The Swedes wouldn't want it, the Croatians wouldn't want it...it just makes no sense!

This is what kills the immersion for me the most.  Random, Muslim counties/duchies popping up in far-off Christian lands where they are surrounded by their anti-religionists should invoke a crushing response to drive them out.  It seems like it would be a very simple thing to have England crush a Muslim county in its realm territory, for example.
That always annoyed me too.
And even once England does decide to crush them they can't give that county to anyone or start rebuilding because the muslim leader over in Africa still holds most of his land there and doesn't want to make peace.
True, being able to just seize land would be super annoying. Nonetheless, to not be able to do anything with it until peace is reached...ugh
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2012, 07:31:03 PM
And even once England does decide to crush them they can't give that county to anyone or start rebuilding because the muslim leader over in Africa still holds most of his land there and doesn't want to make peace.
True, being able to just seize land would be super annoying. Nonetheless, to not be able to do anything with it until peace is reached...ugh

Yep, that is easily one of the most annoying aspects.  It does, however, spark what I think would be a decent solution to the problem. 

In CK 1, if the county were far enough away from your homeland, you would regularly get negative events that nuked the province's income to, well, next to nothing. 

Considering they already have a distance mechanism in place, why not put in a common-sense one that triggers after a certain amount of time that automatically frees the county (say, to a new NPC baron who seizes the county for himself)?  Naturally, there should be some sort of timer on it so you don't have crusade conquests immediately defecting, but I think it would work.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

hmm, yeah, some nice event with a reasonably short decent of occupation before firing, which gives the occupier an option of what to do with the province would be nice. Simple too.
More complicated it would also be good if there could then be an option to restore the province to its old owner in the peace for less war score than taking a new province- another annoying thing from CK1 was when my count ran counties would be overan and annexed and my count of a third son would then for some weird reason end up a courtier on the other side of Europe, never to return even once his land was retaken.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2012, 07:42:17 PM

Yep, that is easily one of the most annoying aspects.  It does, however, spark what I think would be a decent solution to the problem. 

In CK 1, if the county were far enough away from your homeland, you would regularly get negative events that nuked the province's income to, well, next to nothing. 

Considering they already have a distance mechanism in place, why not put in a common-sense one that triggers after a certain amount of time that automatically frees the county (say, to a new NPC baron who seizes the county for himself)?  Naturally, there should be some sort of timer on it so you don't have crusade conquests immediately defecting, but I think it would work.

Actually, in the Dues Vult expansion, rebels will actually take over a county, and if left alone long enough, go independent.  (Originally, all they did was reduce your income while they besieged the province, which meant that often the most cost-effective way to deal with them was to simply let them complete the siege, then disappear.)  Since the new ruling dynasty would be of the same religion as the county, if the Moslems had taken a random county in, say, Sweden, it would emerge from the revolt as an independent Catholic county (assuming it hadn't been converted), which would eventually ask to become a vassal of the King of Sweden (if there was one).

The Minsky Moment

I believe they have addressed that problem, I recall seeing something about a mechanism where if the "foreign" count doesn't liberate the county after a certain duration, it escheats to the occupier automatically.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 05, 2012, 06:33:09 PM

That was what killed it?  I always loved how the Baltic Pagans and the Steppe Hordes (the Cumans and the Pechenegs) acted like they really were co-religionists and would blob into this pagan juggernaut.  The Poor Russians :lol:

There were tons of absurdities.  Still a wonderful game though, but because it was fun not because of it was historical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

The Warlock game looks interesting too.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2012, 12:50:39 PM
The Warlock game looks interesting too.

Saw a preview of it today...it looks like Paradox created a Civ5 mod and is calling it their own game.