State Department sets a cost to renouncing citizenship- $450

Started by Lettow77, February 03, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Hee, when I picked up my Beretta I had to pass a NCIC background check.  On the form they give you in order to submit it, one of the questions was:

Have you ever renounced your United States citizenship?

Among the others were:

Are you currently a fugitive from justice?
Are you currently in the United States illegally?
Are you currently behind on any child support payments?

The first question made me go  :huh:, the second and third  :lol:, and the fourth  :rolleyes: .
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I keep ticking the "did you work for Nazi Germany 1933-45" box when I fly to the US. Some OCD shit I guess.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

If you're a fugitive from justice, do they distinguish between real criminals and guys like the Renegade or A-Team?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

There were in fact no questions about the A-Team.  Would have been cool, though.

In 1972, were you part of a crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime you didn't commit?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Did you promptly escape from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Today, are you still wanted by the government?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Do you survive as a soldier of fortune?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  If someone has a problem, if no one else but you can help, and if you can be found, can you be hired?

If someone ticks yes to all of the above, then the form could make machine gun sounds and queue up the A-Team song.

Once I become Emperor of the World I pledge to institute such a form. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

This is actually pretty shitty. A lot of countries don't allow dual citizenship so if an American wants to settle in one of these....lame.
Japan for instance I think requires you to renounce your old citizenship before you can get a Japanese one.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2012, 05:44:23 AM
This is actually pretty shitty. A lot of countries don't allow dual citizenship so if an American wants to settle in one of these....lame.
Japan for instance I think requires you to renounce your old citizenship before you can get a Japanese one.

Yes $450 dollars to abandon one's country is insane!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2012, 12:15:14 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2012, 05:44:23 AM

Yes $450 dollars to abandon one's country is insane!

Well, it should be more like zero, given that one by definition no longer recognizes the United States as their sovereign.

That said, I'd be willing to pay $450 for contingent renunciations, i.e. a situation where you desire citizenship in some other country that won't permit you to hold both, so you renounce but in the event you wish to come back to America you just ask the embassy, they give you your citizenship back, and you get on a plane for Honolulu.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2012, 01:15:25 PM
Well, it should be more like zero, given that one by definition no longer recognizes the United States as their sovereign.

Yeah but the state has to recognize that they are not you sovereign as well. After all, no one would care too much if I went around proclaiming that I wasn't an American citizen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 04, 2012, 01:15:25 PM
That said, I'd be willing to pay $450 for contingent renunciations, i.e. a situation where you desire citizenship in some other country that won't permit you to hold both, so you renounce but in the event you wish to come back to America you just ask the embassy, they give you your citizenship back, and you get on a plane for Honolulu.

Nah, if you decide to leave the nest - you're out sucker.

Ed Anger

The Nazi's had it right. Take 90% of their stuff to leave.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2012, 05:41:52 AM
There were in fact no questions about the A-Team.  Would have been cool, though.

In 1972, were you part of a crack commando unit that was sent to prison by a military court for a crime you didn't commit?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Did you promptly escape from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Today, are you still wanted by the government?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  Do you survive as a soldier of fortune?
If you answered Yes to the previous question:  If someone has a problem, if no one else but you can help, and if you can be found, can you be hired?

If someone ticks yes to all of the above, then the form could make machine gun sounds and queue up the A-Team song.

I laughed out loud, and then my wife read it, and she laughed out loud.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on February 04, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2012, 05:41:52 AM

I laughed out loud, and then my wife read it, and she laughed out loud.

I'm surprised an asshole like you have a wife.
Do you tie her down in your basement, ala CdM?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Lettow77

Neil is a man of culture, intellect, and unvarnished masculinity. It isn't strange to me that he'd have a wife. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 04, 2012, 09:51:21 PM
Neil is a man of culture, intellect, and unvarnished masculinity. It isn't strange to me that he'd have a wife. :)

And she is hairy and eats raw meat.
Come on, Neil is nothing else but a troll.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2012, 09:43:15 PM
I'm surprised an asshole like you have a wife.
Do you tie her down in your basement, ala CdM?
I've always been popular with women.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.