News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

College sports scholarships help needed

Started by The Larch, February 05, 2012, 04:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

So, obviously this is not for me, but for a somebody else. There's this kid, a family friend, who is an athlete and is considering to cross the pond next year and study in the states if he manages to get a sport scholarship. Thing is, he has no idea how that process goes, so if any of you can shed some light on the issue, it'll be more than welcome. Should he contact the schools? The NCAA? How does that work for international prospects?

The Larch

This is the kid. He's 21, does triathlon and is currently finishing his studies over here, in physiotherapy. He'd want to do some kind of specialization in sports medicine or somesuch, I guess.

As for his performance, he has won stuff at Junior and AFAIK also U-23 categories at the national and European level. He'll be competing for qualification for the London Olympics, but it'd be a longshot, and he's looking at the 2016 Olympics as his best chance.

So, is there any hope in getting an athletic scholarship for him?

Ed Anger

Try the links at the left of this page (you can ignore the state specific stuff):

http://www.college-athletic-scholarships.com/ohio.htm

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Not much is my guess.  Triathalon is not a college sport.  I don't think basic marathon is all that common either.

First step is to tell him to talk to his current coach and see if he has any contacts at US schools.

Siege

We don't need more european faggots trying to steal scholarships from good american boys.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

If I had cash to spare, I'd offer some scholarship myself. :perv:

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Strange to find Marty getting hot and bothered by a pic that only shows the top half of the body. He could have hooves for all we know.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

stjaba

Like Yi mentioned, the best resource would probably be a coach/trainer who has contacts in the US. Generally, college coaches recruit the athletes, not vice versa, with the input of contacts/coaches/etc.

That being said, it's not unheard of for athletes to market themselves to schools, particularly in the case of less prominent sports(e.g. track), and international athletes.

Probably the best way to do that would be to reach out to coaches directly. You can probably find contact information on school athletic websites.  Keep in mind that coaches would only be interested if the athlete has had a history of success in an event that is currently competed in the NCAA. To see a list of events that are currently competed in, go to http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/records/records.jsp?listId=5. Like Yi mentioned, triathalon is not a NCAA event, so if that's all he does, he's out of luck.

It should be mentioned that the NCAA has strict amateurism provisions. You can't get a scholarship if you've ever been paid to compete in a particular sport. 

Finally, the NCAA has weird provisions about eligibility. Since he's completing school now, it sounds like he would be seeking a graduate degree in the US. As a result of the way eligibility provisions are written, the result could be that would only have 1 year of scholarship eligibility.

PDH

At 21 years of age, he is eligible at most for a 2 year scholarship.  I learned this a couple of years ago when UWyo started to recruit Germans for the football team.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 05, 2012, 06:19:02 PM
At 21 years of age, he is eligible at most for a 2 year scholarship.  I learned this a couple of years ago when UWyo started to recruit Germans for the football team.

Sadly, the Germans were modern day Germans, instead of the more manly Germans of yore.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2012, 05:10:20 PM
We don't need more european faggots trying to steal scholarships from good american boys.

What's this "we" shit?

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 05, 2012, 06:26:22 PM

Sadly, the Germans were modern day Germans, instead of the more manly Germans of yore.

These are all black Germans, so I think they are descended from askiris
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on February 05, 2012, 07:21:27 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 05, 2012, 06:26:22 PM

These are all black Germans, so I think they are descended from askiris

Even worse. Their natural negroness has been supressed by the pussy modern germanism.