News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russian-Turkic Director to Adapt Moby-Dick

Started by Queequeg, May 01, 2009, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

.....and it's among the worst things I've ever heard.  God just sat down and shat on my face.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992634.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

QuoteUniversal Pictures has made a splashy preemptive buy of "Moby Dick," a reimagining of the Herman Melville whale tale that Timur Bekmambetov ("Wanted") will direct.

Studio paid high six figures to Adam Cooper and Bill Collage to pen the screenplay.

The writers revere Melville's original text, but their graphic novel-style version will change the structure. Gone is the first-person narration by the young seaman Ishmael, who observes how Ahab's obsession with killing the great white whale overwhelms his good judgment as captain.

This change will allow them to depict the whale's decimation of other ships prior to its encounter with Ahab's Pequod, and Ahab will be depicted more as a charismatic leader than a brooding obsessive.

"Our vision isn't your grandfather's 'Moby Dick,' "
Cooper said. "This is an opportunity to take a timeless classic and capitalize on the advances in visual effects to tell what at its core is an action-adventure revenge story."

Scott Stuber is producing with Jim Lemley and Cormac and Marianne Wibberley.

Both Stuber and Bekmambetov have deals at Universal. Bekmambetov will look to apply the visual flourish he displayed on the U summer hit "Wanted."

"We wanted to take a graphic novel sensibility to a classic narrative,"
said Collage. They brought it to the Wibberlys, the "National Treasure" scribes who are branching into producing and will team with Stuber. The project then caught the fancy of Bekmambetov and Lemley, who teamed with the helmer on "Wanted."

Bekmambetov is developing a sequel to the Angelina Jolie starrer and is also mobilizing and producing a slate of modestly budgeted Russian-language films for Universal's offshore distribution operations.

Cooper and Collage received credit on the comedy "Accepted" and more recently did rewrite work on the untitled Trump Heist movie, the Tom Bezucha-directed "The People's House" and the McG-helmed "Nightcrawlers."

WMA made the deal and repped the scribes, Bekmambetov and the Wibberleys.

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

They're gunna turn Moby-Dick into 300! 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I fail to see how this is any worse than the classic Gandhi II which not only performed well at box offices but also drew critical praise for laying open Mahatma's inner demons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

:rolleyes: You have major OCD.  Get medicated, dude.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Is this going to be a poor man's Michael Bay Movie?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Oh, like 300?  That's sad.

I was hoping it would be like Loony Toons...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Russia, Turkey, Dick, , Some stodgy old book?  I thought this would up P-Spell Us' alley.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2009, 10:34:41 AM
Russia, Turkey, Dick, , Some stodgy old book?  I thought this would up P-Spell Us' alley.

Spellus hates Turks.  That's what all the whining over this movie is about.

Queequeg

Quote from: dps on May 02, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

:huh:
Where did all this "I hate Turks" stuff come from?  I love every non-Georgian from Greece to Afghanistan.  Heck, I'm in a Turkish Language program this summer.

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2009, 10:59:26 AM
Quote from: dps on May 02, 2009, 10:57:40 AM

:huh:
Where did all this "I hate Turks" stuff come from?  I love every non-Georgian from Greece to Afghanistan.  Heck, I'm in a Turkish Language program this summer.

It's not Turkohate. We luvs our Molianolikes. It's rather a deep hatred of Russia and a deep hatred of the desecration of literature.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/LitNote/Moby-Dick-Book-Summary.id-79,pageNum-1.html
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"