News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

'We have Schettino, but you have Auschwitz

Started by jimmy olsen, February 01, 2012, 06:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lol, great troll!  :D

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/willheaven/100133092/we-have-schettino-but-you-have-auschwitz-the-extraordinary-row-between-il-giornale-and-der-spiegel/

Quote'We have Schettino, but you have Auschwitz': the extraordinary row between Il Giornale and Der Spiegel

By Will Heaven World Last updated: January 27th, 2012

Earlier this week, Jan Fleischhauer opened his Der Spiegel column with the following words: "Hand on heart: is anyone surprised by the fact that the captain of the Costa Concordia is Italian? Can you imagine a German pulling a hit-and-run stunt like that, or a British captain?"

The column that followed was more nuanced than you might think – national stereotypes, said Fleischhauer, are like gender stereotypes. They're not politically correct, but we encounter them every day. Germans, he said, would recognise an Italian figure like Captain Schettino from beach holidays in southern Europe.

Now an Italian newspaper has returned fire. Il Giornale, a Berlusconi-owned publication, ran an editorial today headlined "A noi Schettino, a voi Auschwitz." The meaning is clear – we have Schettino, but you have Auschwitz. The Huffington Post reports:

The headline was published on 27 January, which is also National Holocaust Memorial Day. Despite this, Sallusti deepens the comparison, continuing in the editorial:

"We already read in Hitler's speeches that the Germans are a superior race. But reminding us today, during the Holocaust Remembrance Day, is in bad taste. It is true, we Italians are guilty of 30 passenger deaths because of Schettino. You Germans killed six million.

"And no one from the superior German race saved any one of them. Unlike us, who saved 4,200 [the number of the passengers on the boat]. And hundreds of thousands Jews during the Holocaust.

"It is true, us Italians we are like this, inclined not to respect the law, be it the naval or the racial one. The Germans in the contrary are better at that. We saw them in action in our cities obeying the orders of shooting at women and children, often in the back.

"Their superiority and cleverness was at the origin of two World Wars, which have destroyed Europe, twice. They are bragging, but it is only in September 2011 that they finished paying the compensations they owed for WWI.

"It took them 92 years, and in the meantime we helped them first to defend themselves from the USSR, and later to pay the bill of Germany's unification."

Italians on Twitter have been outraged by the poisonous editorial, which was written by Il Giornale's Editor-in-Chief, Allesandro Sallusti. Some said they were "ashamed" and "disgusted". But don't let that fool you: it doesn't mean the newspaper's readers object to it. Sallusti knows them well. And he knows that, like the Greeks who have recently been enjoying cartoons depicting Germans as Nazis, a hatred for Germany has been rekindled by the crisis in the eurozone.

All of which makes me wonder: what is left of the European project?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

...isn't Auchwitz in Poland? I'm pretty sure I've been there....

Anyway. Playing the nazi card- :yawn:
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I wonder if they are still sore about Teutoburg Forest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Il Giornale is a rag, unworthy of being used to wrap fish with it, let alone of being listened to.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2012, 10:15:59 AM
Il Giornale is a rag, unworthy of being used to wrap fish with it, let alone of being listened to.

Is it as bad as WSJ?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.