News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2012, SEC Uber Alles

Started by Ed Anger, February 01, 2012, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on February 04, 2012, 02:16:40 PM
Every year, homers complain about the best kids here not going to UWyo, but in reality they don't go to other D1 schools either...Wyoming is not a hotbed of football talent.

That's right Valmy, even Duell couldn't cut it.

Football excellence is not exactly in my family's blood :P

For Duell to even get to Div I school was a miracle.  My other football playing relatives usually just get concussions...who knew small school Maryland HS football was so hard hitting?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on February 07, 2012, 12:45:43 PM
:mad: pussies ought to lose some scholarships over this

wvu is o for against fsu in the modern error...just got tired of their ass whuppings i guess

Yeah the Big 12 has 9 conference games so they had to cancel somebody...might as well be the team that will probably beat them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
Yeah the Big 12 has 9 conference games so they had to cancel somebody...might as well be the team that will probably beat them.

FSU was the cheapest and easiest for them to get out of.  The other ones were home games or games against in state rivals that they don't want to lose.

And with what WVU is bringing back, I'm not so sure about FSU winning that game. 

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 03, 2012, 06:47:23 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2012, 10:05:21 AM
Oh Urban....

You cheeky rascal.

:D

That's extremely Texas A&M-ish.

Especially since the Woody line was "That School Up North."

It worked with Woody.  UM needs to at least get the old schtick right if he wants to revive it, but he'd be better off watching Hoke to see how to do things right.  You don't schedule an interview so you can announce your little digs; you just do them, and let people notice.

Also, Urbs needs to think through his digs, so they don't bite him in the ass like this one; he says that they don't say the word "Michigan," but rather "the team up north;" apparently, then they will also talk about "the team up north State" when referring to the other school in Michigan.

I'm just glad that Michigan got the guy they did, and not the guy OSU got.  I'm happy to see Urban Meyer at OSU, because that will make the rivalry better (while he lasts), but I sure as shit wouldn't want him at a school I liked.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

grumbler, you have to read Three and Out just so I can compare notes with someone more familiar with Michigan.

It's kind of funny, the book (which I am about 2/3rds fo the way through - RR just finished his second season) has at the same time made me think Rodriguez got royally fucked over by some people at Michigan, while making me like the institution itself a lot - if only because it seems so clear that what happened to Rodriguez there is so completely out of whack with what Michigan is all about. And the book has actually convinced me that Michigan really *is* about something. I think they may be my new favorite Big-10 team.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2012, 09:01:49 PM
grumbler, you have to read Three and Out just so I can compare notes with someone more familiar with Michigan.

It's kind of funny, the book (which I am about 2/3rds fo the way through - RR just finished his second season) has at the same time made me think Rodriguez got royally fucked over by some people at Michigan, while making me like the institution itself a lot - if only because it seems so clear that what happened to Rodriguez there is so completely out of whack with what Michigan is all about. And the book has actually convinced me that Michigan really *is* about something. I think they may be my new favorite Big-10 team.

I did read it over Christmas (and thought I had talked about it here, but maybe just confused some posts I did at MGoBlog as statements I made here).

As the books makes clear, RR did get the shitty end of the stick at Michigan.  His problem was that he didn't handle it well, and lost control of the team as a result (witness the way his team kept giving up on him at the end of games - that is precisely the opposite of the way Michigan Men operate).   I think he is in an entirely different situation now, and is well-placed for success.  I personally wish him all the best, unless playing Michigan.  As the book makes clear, he was a class act, and the whole "NCAA sanctions" thing was a complete joke. 

I won't argue with you if you say Michigan is a magical place for football.  It really "is" about something.  Bo probably put it best when he said (paraphrasing here) that "My goal is simple: that when my players look back on their life, whether they went to the NFL or became doctors or lawyers or just good and successful men, that they look back on their years here and say 'those were the best years of my life.'"

This is a great time to jump on the bandwagon.  Hoke is the perfect coach for this team. He is the new Bo.  You will never see him saying of his recruits that ""I wouldn't say a great class; we have some marginal guys in there."  The game against Alabama to start the year is going to be a great one.  Non-student tickets (25,000 of them) at Michigan are already sold out (they've asked for more), and I'd be surprised if the Alabama ones are not as well.  'Bama fans are probably my favorite fans outside the B10 (they were terrific before and at the 2000 Orange Bowl), and they are already appearing, non-trolling, on MGoBlog.  Plus, "our helmets have wings!"  I'd be delighted if you jumped on board.

Even though you didn't show up the last time I went to Five Guys!  :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2012, 09:01:49 PM

Should have noted above that I'm probably not the best guy to compare notes with when it comes to Michigan!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 11:51:24 AM

Also, Urbs needs to think through his digs, so they don't bite him in the ass like this one; he says that they don't say the word "Michigan," but rather "the team up north;" apparently, then they will also talk about "the team up north State" when referring to the other school in Michigan.

When Urban was at UF, he referred to FSU as "School Out West." And I think he did something similar at Utah w/r/t Brigham Young.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2012, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on February 07, 2012, 12:45:43 PM
:mad: pussies ought to lose some scholarships over this

wvu is o for against fsu in the modern error...just got tired of their ass whuppings i guess

WVU could have kept that game since they had (and still have) an open spot for that week, but given their history vs. FSU I won't miss it.  They replaced the FSU game with:  a game vs. James Madison at Fedex Field on 9/15 :lol:

Kinda weird to look at the WVU 2012 schedule and see so many 'unfamiliar' logos.  Cool to see an upgrade in opponents, but shitty to know that I won't have an easy-to-get-to away game each year.

Anyway, WVU reached a settlement with the Big East today, a bit sooner than I expected.  Instead of the customary $5 million, WVU will pay the Big East $11 million and the Big 12 will kick in another $9 mil (some of which WVU will eventually pay back to the Big 12). 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

They don't have an open date.  They have a bye.  They've got 12 games on the schedule now, so one of the OOC games was going to have to go away.  The road game against a non rival makes sense.

The JMU game was scheduled in June of last year, and is at a neutral location where IIRC, WVU will get a chunk of the gate and such $$.  At this point, with something like 6 of the BCS top 25 teams from last year on their schedule already (OU, OSU, TCU, KSU, UT, Baylor although they don't have RGIII anymore), they could probably use the cashmoney more than a marquee game.

E:  And I read that it was $10million, with $5 million as a gift from the Big 12, with the other $5 million having to be paid back starting in a few years.  Either way, 9 or 10million, what was really interesting/sad about that article was that WVU is only going to be getting like 50% of the normal B12 revenue for the first year, (and it will go up to 100% over three years, IIRC, which is when $1 million a year starts coming out for four/five years to pay the loan back) but it is still more than they would have gotten in the Big East, and this is with the ancient Big 12 Tier 1 contract that is currently worth exactly the same as their new tier 2 ($90m) and is due to be renegotiated in the next couple of years.

MadBurgerMaker

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 15, 2012, 04:48:32 PM
They don't have an open date.  They have a bye.  They've got 12 games on the schedule now, so one of the OOC games was going to have to go away.  The road game against a non rival makes sense.

I worded that awkardly.  My point was that the date of the FSU game wasn't a conflict with anything on the new schedule.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 09:47:50 AM
I worded that awkardly.  My point was that the date of the FSU game wasn't a conflict with anything on the new schedule.

Oh I see.  Yeah, but why give up the sweet, sweet $$ they get from home games (and beer sales at those home games!) in exchange for a big road game like that when they suddenly now have several other big games to play and they kinda need some extra coin?

Sure, they're getting more from the Big 12 TV contract than they were from the Big East, but they're still going to be behind the other B12 programs for several years to come because of the graduated entrance and the loan payment. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 15, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
Oh and four TCU players got nailed selling weed on campus.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34848232

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/TCU+Drug+Arrest+Warrants.pdf

Tanner Brock, DJ Yendrey, Ty Horn, Devin Johnson

So what should we taunt them with?  Toke and Coke U?  Tons of Cannabis U?  THCU?

Still prefer drug dealers to Aggies.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 16, 2012, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2012, 09:47:50 AM

Oh I see.  Yeah, but why give up the sweet, sweet $$ they get from home games (and beer sales at those home games!) in exchange for a big road game like that when they suddenly now have several other big games to play and they kinda need some extra coin?

Sure, they're getting more from the Big 12 TV contract than they were from the Big East, but they're still going to be behind the other B12 programs for several years to come because of the graduated entrance and the loan payment. 

They'll be okay, even if they have to actually take state funds for a few years to even things out.  IIRC they currently rank in the middle of the Big 12 in terms of revenue/expense.