News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 01:55:15 AM

Anyway, the other alternative is to start my own 501(c).  I'm thinking the Airpower Institute, under 501(c)(19).

Quote from: I.R.C. 501(c)(19)(B)(B) at least 75 percent of the members of which are past or present members of the Armed Forces of the United States and substantially all of the other members of which are individuals who are cadets or are spouses, widows,, [3] widowers, ancestors, or lineal descendants of past or present members of the Armed Forces of the United States...

Check.

OK, Tonitrus, I need you and two other guys.

So long as we strongly support heavy bombers and close air support.  Screw those fighter jock jack-offs.

Ideologue

The bomber always gets through.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Gah.  "Hi I'm from Korea and my microphone doesn't work." :lol:

One thing I did like about this interview was that the questions weren't retarded, and actually related to the job (not any of this "when did you synergize with the paradigm" bullshit).  She threw me on what I knew about the cultural differences, though.  I'm plenty aware of the cultural differences between Koreans and Americans, of course, but very few positive things came to mind.  So I rambled about how Korea is an "old nation, young state" (yes, I'm a jackass who says shit like that when cornered) and "the Chosen civilization" (not like Jews, like Reservoir) and restrained myself from mentioning the war.  Either one.

My favorite (sincerely, not being a sarcastic jerk) questions were 1)"What would you do if a child seemed uninterested in learning?"  The real answer, I expect, is "tell his horrible Korean parents who will beat and/or shame him until he magically becomes interested," but my way was way more diplomatic--explaining how in a globalized world you can't be top-flight without knowing the global language, but if that doesn't work because he's 12, explaining how he has to learn some foreign language, and English is the easiest, way easier than Chinese; 2)"Why do you want to teach English to foreigners?", to which I elaborated upon how it makes a world a better place when someone from Korea and someone from India can mutually communicate, even if, regrettably, no Americans are actually involved; and 3)the one where I talked about how communicating legalese to braindead moron criminal defendants is probably harder than teaching an enthusiastic Korean student.

Generally, I think I rambled a lot less than I usually do in interview situations, even if a good 25% of the conversation was me saying "What?  Your audio cut out." :shrug:

Of course, I get so few.  Maybe Al was right, and I should have done some mock ones with career services.  Anyway, I'm just glad she didn't ask me to pan the camera around the room to get a sense of what a gross fuck I am.

If I were in charge, I would so do that.

The webcam setup kind of sucks because when I'm looking at the screen, and thus the interviewer, it appears that I'm looking down like a dork.  So I had to keep staring into the camera and missing body language, facial expressions, etc.  I think she liked me okay.  I said her English was good (it wasn't).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I also managed to avoid the following topics: fleeing from underemployment, escaping the coming collapse of the West, and fucking Asian chicks--i.e., my actual goals.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Well for the love of God, if they ask how you learned about the program, don't link them here.  In fact you might not want to tell them that it was recommended to you by a group of people on the internet who you barely know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I just mentioned Tim.  They didn't ask any follow up questions.  If they did, we had a plan for that, because we're of subtle and overwhelming intellect.

I will say this--I wish every interview I've ever had was with someone who spoke English as a second language.  It brings them down a notch.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Did your plan involve violence?  Cause most of my plans involve that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 01:12:47 AM
I just mentioned Tim.  They didn't ask any follow up questions. 

Obviously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Well, just explaining that we're nerds.

In fact, I'm not sure why I don't know Tim in RL--I vaguely remember there was something preventing the Metrolina Languishites from seeing Tim when he was down here.  Probably the neverending battle that is door-to-door encyclopedia sales.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2012, 01:28:43 AM
Chosin Reservoir. :nerd:

Pronounced the same in English. :P

Hangul might be identical, might not be.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

One thing I found weird was their insistence on visual contact, and the requirement to mail "two pieces of [my] picture."  Do they bounce you if you're ugly or something?

Luckily, I look sharp in my suit.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 12:54:51 AM
So I rambled about how Korea is an "old nation, young state" (yes, I'm a jackass who says shit like that when cornered) and "the Chosen civilization" (not like Jews, like Reservoir) and restrained myself from mentioning the war.  Either one.

lol, way to go, MacArthur.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 01:38:30 AM
One thing I found weird was their insistence on visual contact, and the requirement to mail "two pieces of [my] picture."  Do they bounce you if you're ugly or something?

Luckily, I look sharp in my suit.
They prefer someone white I guess.

Probally for visa stuff and whatnot. In Japan and a lot of European countries it is also normal to include your photo on your CV, maybe Korea too.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on February 24, 2012, 01:12:47 AM

I will say this--I wish every interview I've ever had was with someone who spoke English as a second language.  It brings them down a notch.

:weep: