Science speculation! Asteroid is going to hit Earth.

Started by Razgovory, January 31, 2012, 11:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 08:45:48 AM
This one is.  There is nothing that says it can't be coming straight for us.
Then it isn't going to be spotted ten years out, and even if it was it'd be too hard to model an impact, so your question is irrelevant.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 07:10:38 AM
Funny thing about space, it takes a long time to get from one place to another.  If that small group of asteroids are going to take 10 years to get here, it'll take quite some time to send something to them.

What Neil said.
And so what if there are only 4 years for its path to slowly change rather than 10. Space is big, Earth is small. That is more than enough time for courses to change enough.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

What plan is ready to actually do what you are suggesting?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on February 01, 2012, 08:48:09 AM
Then it isn't going to be spotted ten years out, and even if it was it'd be too hard to model an impact, so your question is irrelevant.

Why not?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Okay. First, I'd organize a mass human sacrifice. Nerds, Geeks, Dweebs, Animetards and Geordies would be sacrificed to the god(s). Then I'd organize a mass orgy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2012, 09:03:12 AM
Okay. First, I'd organize a mass human sacrifice. Nerds, Geeks, Dweebs, Animetards and Geordies would be sacrificed to the god(s). Then I'd organize a mass orgy.

You forgot gingers.  For the mass sacrifice, not the orgy.  That would be just gross.

Ed Anger

I just don't get the red head hate. Especially from Brits. Considering they are genetic mess already, they don't have much room to talk about a little red hair.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 09:00:36 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 01, 2012, 08:48:09 AM
Why not?
Because it's incredibly difficult to find such tiny objects in the outer solar system, even when you're actively looking for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.