News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you price paintings?

Started by syk, January 31, 2012, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I think The Brain is right, charge $100 for a painting and they think they are doing an amateur a favour, charge $1000 and they think they have got a bargain  :cool:

They are strange, the humans.

Got to be worth giving it a go.

syk

Lots of helpful replies, thanks everyone!

That cat painting really changes things a bit. It looks like it would have taken me an hour to make that and apparently will be sold for mad cash. :hmm:
Pricing high possibly needs a certain market, one I haven't got (yet). I will check out the local galleries and see how they react. I thought about ebay before, maybe I'll try that with a copy of the caffeine painting. I still have 4 spare of those.

The Larch

Quote from: syk on February 02, 2012, 04:00:21 AMThat cat painting really changes things a bit. It looks like it would have taken me an hour to make that and apparently will be sold for mad cash. :hmm:

She'll get mad cash when/if she gets to sell it. She's had it up for sale at her site for a looooooooong time. She also has a bit of name recognition at this point, having had a number of expositions and having been mentioned a few times in the papers. She's also an art insider, having worked as PR for an art foundation a while ago, so I guess that she has the contacts necessary to pull that off.

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 02, 2012, 02:28:53 AM
I think The Brain is right, charge $100 for a painting and they think they are doing an amateur a favour, charge $1000 and they think they have got a bargain  :cool:

They are strange, the humans.

Got to be worth giving it a go.

Lololol.  God, Veblen goods suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)